Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang glass
(11-23-2018, 02:01 AM)marcello Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 06:25 PM)toni-a Wrote: I also have 7Dmkii and have the 50f1.4 
How do you feel the canon 50mm 1.4 performs  on your 7D mark II?

is it really unusable at 1.4 aperture? What do you use it for? (I'd be using it for portraits, both studio and outdoor)

ps. thanks everyone for the answers!

At f1.4 it is quite soft and the colors are washed out, very poor contrast, besides it is very hard  to get focus right  unless you are using live view, for any serious work it's not usable at f1.4, however once stepped  down from f2.0 and up, that's one of the best lenses I have ever used .
Also note that it has an old auto-focus  micro-motor that is prone to failure after a couple of years. 
I can show samples if you want
Also for portraiture even on my 7D 50mm is rather short, the model is sometimes uncomfortable because I am too close, 85mm gives you two more steps of distance, just what you need
In the end I decided to wait. I am not in a hurry to get this 50mm.
I feel I have to do some more reading about all these options that have unfolded thanks to this thread.
thanks everyone
Just out of curiosity I was wondering.
Could I get a manual 50mm (or whatever) lens that has already the canon mount, and get an adapter for the AF confirmation?
Would that need to be canon to canon adapter?
(11-25-2018, 10:48 PM)marcello Wrote: Just out of curiosity I was wondering.
Could I get a manual 50mm (or whatever) lens that has already the canon mount, and get an adapter for the AF confirmation?

Well, if it has an EF mount already you can't add adapter - otherwise you lose infinity focus.

In theory you could get an AF chip off eBay and glue it to the mount. Sounds more complicated and bizarre than it is. I've seen that on Chinese lenses.

Whether this is worth it ... unlikely ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(11-25-2018, 10:48 PM)marcello Wrote: Just out of curiosity I was wondering.

With "already canon mount" lenses, if you mean EOS mount, then you have to get a focus confirmation chip and glue it in place on the mount with 2 component epoxy glue. It depends on your camera model/age on which chips are compatible. 

You also can adapt Nikon F-mount, Contax/Yashica C/Y-mount, Olympus OM-mount, Leica R-mount, M42 mount and Pentax K-mount (with some removal of aperture linkage and such) with adapters with focus confirmation chip. And you can convert many Canon FL/FD/FDn lenses to Canon EOS mount, and some Minolta FD mount lenses.
It depends on camera model (and its AF sensor) and lens aberrations whether focus confirmation is accurate or not.

If depends on what you are after, not many old MF lenses are as sharp as the EF 50mm f1.8 STM.

I still suggest just saving up for a Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art or Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM, if what you are after is a bigger aperture and/or nicer rendering than a EF 50mm f1.8 STM. The Samyang XP 50mm f1.2 has its own focus confirmation chip (I believe) and aperture control, how accurate focus confirmation with the 7D mk II is you only can try.
(11-26-2018, 08:12 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: You also can adapt Nikon F-mount,

So say I get a modern samyang lens (50mm f 1.4 AS UMC) with nikon mount, then buy an AF confirm adapter "nikon F-mount to canon EF", would that work?

Also I'll look into that XP 50mm lens. thanks!
(11-26-2018, 09:14 AM)marcello Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 08:12 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: You also can adapt Nikon F-mount,

So say I get a modern samyang lens (50mm f 1.4 AS UMC) with nikon mount, then buy an AF confirm adapter "nikon F-mount to canon EF", would that work?

Also I'll look into that XP 50mm lens. thanks!

Why not get that Samyang with EF mount and glue a EMF focus confirmation chip on it? Either way will give the same result. Whether manual focus works for you on your 7D mk II is something you can find out with your current lens(es) beforehand.
I am not very good with hand crafts XD I dont want to mess too much with the lens with glue. (plus my hideous fear of having that chip detached and falling into the camera body).
So do you think this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AF-Confirm-Ad...2982449443
or this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Progra...EF+adapter
would work on modern nikon mount lenses (the above mentioned samyang 50mm)?
I am worried that this could only work for old or vintage nikon lenses. I know nothing about nikon mounts, and I can only guess this F-mount is the current one used nowadays?

Manual focus works for me...yes and no. With wide aperture I wouldnt trust my eyes, also because I wear glasses and sometimes I find that when looking through the eyepiece with glasses the focus is different to what I think it is when looking withough glasses, and this makes me doubt about what is sharp and what is not. Hence the AF confirmation.
Nikon F-mount = Nikon F-mount. Only with G lenses you need a different adapter to operate the aperture, G lenses do not have an aperture ring. And with the new E mount lenses you would be stuffed, as there is no way to operate their electronic aperture mechanism (but those are only some of the newest AF lenses and the tilt/shift range).

I do want to point out that with adapted lenses, older and this Samyang, that you need to close down the aperture yourself via the lens' aperture ring. With "normal" lenses, you look through the wide open lens regardless of what aperture you set on the camera, and only during exposure the aperture of the lens gets closed. With adapted lenses (and the cheap Samyang EF range) you focus wide open, then close the aperture via the lens ring to wanted aperture (I usually count the clicks to know what aperture I am setting, if I want to close down), now the camera meters correctly with the closed down aperture, and you take the image.

So, extra things/steps to do/take, besides manual focussing.

I would avoid the 1st adapter you show, as it has quite a large compatibility possibility with the 7D mk II, the 2nd one might be fine.
I think you will find that the Samyang 50 F1.4 already comes with the mount chipped in Nikon F mount.........like my Samyang F mount 14mm F2.8 AS CSM does.......the lens works straight from the body controls......

Pentax K mount also does this!

(maybe I've miss understood the thread but......)