Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang glass
Just don't do it, adapters and manual focus that's recipe for disaster in professional portraiture, especially you want really shallow DOF
(11-26-2018, 12:44 PM)davidmanze Wrote: I think you will find that the Samyang 50 F1.4 already comes with the mount chipped in Nikon F mount.........like my Samyang F mount 14mm F2.8 AS CSM does.......the lens works straight from the body controls......

Pentax K mount also does this!

(maybe I've miss understood the thread but......)

I know they do, but I have a Canon body, hence all the hassle to have the AF confirmation. Smile
(11-26-2018, 01:39 PM)marcello Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 12:44 PM)davidmanze Wrote: I think you will find that the Samyang 50 F1.4 already comes with the mount chipped in Nikon F mount.........like my Samyang F mount 14mm F2.8 AS CSM does.......the lens works straight from the body controls......

Pentax K mount also does this!

(maybe I've miss understood the thread but......)

I know they do, but I have a Canon body, hence all the hassle to have the AF confirmation. Smile

It's simple buy a Nikon!
Yeah you did misunderstand. The lens in Nikon F mount does not come with focus confirmation chip for Canon.

(11-26-2018, 12:48 PM)toni-a Wrote: Just don't do it, adapters and manual focus that's recipe for disaster in professional portraiture, especially you want really shallow DOF

Nonsense, really. 

It totally depends on the photographer and his/her style.

(11-26-2018, 12:48 PM)toni-a Wrote: Just don't do it, adapters and manual focus that's recipe for disaster in professional portraiture, especially you want really shallow DOF

Nonsense, really. 

That was me been told off! Honestly I felt as I should drop the whole thing for this 50mm lens.
Its only because I started doing this professionally only from this year (portrait photography) and this is slowly growing and I feel I want to get a better lens than the canon cheap 1.8. At the moment I only shoot in my little studio, with continous lighting, so a kind of safe environment where I dont need the full aperture. But in a few months I might find myself wanting to do outdoor portraits too (or I might get asked!).
I really like Samyang lenses, (already own  a wide angle one) I love the build quality, the image quality... and I read a lot of great reviews about that 50mm f1.4 UCM and got a bit fixated with it.
I thought I could try to fit a chip on the samyang I already have, to give it a go and see if it works, but I am bit scared. I might wait and see if this AF 50mm is to come or not, and if so, how well performs. In the meantime I'll try and shoot more on manual and see how I feel about it.
(11-26-2018, 07:29 PM)marcello Wrote:

Nonsense, really. 

That was me been told off! Honestly I felt as I should drop the whole thing for this 50mm lens.
Its only because I started doing this professionally only from this year (portrait photography) and this is slowly growing and I feel I want to get a better lens than the canon cheap 1.8. At the moment I only shoot in my little studio, with continous lighting, so a kind of safe environment where I dont need the full aperture. But in a few months I might find myself wanting to do outdoor portraits too (or I might get asked!).
I really like Samyang lenses, (already own  a wide angle one) I love the build quality, the image quality... and I read a lot of great reviews about that 50mm f1.4 UCM and got a bit fixated with it.
I thought I could try to fit a chip on the samyang I already have, to give it a go and see if it works, but I am bit scared. I might wait and see if this AF 50mm is to come or not, and if so, how well performs. In the meantime I'll try and shoot more on manual and see how I feel about it.

It's your own business, do whatever you like.
Have been there before you.
In your studio you are in ideal conditions, outdoors it's a different story, since you wanna get into a business, you will be asked for multiple assignments, good luck shooting babies outdoors with a manual focus lens... If you will do events, you should know that nobody will wait for you, either you grab the moment or you don't, in weddings most professionals I know use two bodies to avoid changing lenses, and losing a moment while doing so, and remember you will be tense at the special moments so your hit rate with manual focus will drop dramatically,
You have one of the best and fastest cameras for events and weddings, so a manual focus lens for such situations is a no no
It would be wise not to confuse his portrait business with your event shooting, toni-a. Although I have to say, manual focus lenses are tools for rather static subjects and I would not want to deal with them on a DSLR. It's doable, sure, but no better than a good AF lens.

Oh, an btw.: although the Tokina 50/1.4 fits the list, I'd steer clear of it - as the last recall for firmware update showed, there might be other future surprises waiting in this lens.