Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax KP announced
Quote:P.S. I'm still waiting for wim to explain how only a 3rd-party lens maker can make great lenses. I hope he's talking about Zeiss (though Leica would have something to say about that...).
 Please don't put words in my mouth I did not use. I did not say only. Pentax never did, and nfortunately not even 3rd party manufacturers created lenses for the Pentax K-mount in longer FLs. I tried to explain what Dave tried to say, rather than your expanation of his statements.

Only Tokina used to create a fair amount of lenses for Pentax, but then, they have had a long relationship with Pentax in any case.

As mentioned, I am happy for you you are happy with pentax.

Let's keep it that way. I am happy with my Canon and MFT gear. To each their own.

Cheerio!

Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Pentax never did a great lens? Not a single one? Oh, boy...

No offense, but from your comment it seems you don't know much about Pentax (including the Pentax-Tokina relationship).

Quote:Sigh... another "my decision to leave Pentax was the correct one because yadda yadda yadda and if they die my decision will be proven correct"... Tongue

Left in 2012, you say? So you missed all the new things done under Ricoh Imaging, including:

- the K-5II, able to focus down to -3EV

- the K-3, with the first Pentax AF with advanced subject tracking functions

- the DA 560mm, their first long lens in a while

- their first optically stabilized interchangeable lens (for the 645)

- their first 1.4x RC with autofocus

- the D FA 150-450, filling an important gap

- their first D FA* lens, a 70-200 f/2.8

- their very first FF DSLR - which was very well received

- a new and very fast AF motor (PLM)

- evolving the K-mount towards a fully electronic interface (KAF4)

It's like we're in a Monty Python sketch... besides the above and what I left out, what have Ricoh Imaging ever done for us?

P.S. I'm still waiting for wim to explain how only a 3rd-party lens maker can make great lenses. I hope he's talking about Zeiss (though Leica would have something to say about that...).

I'm not impressed with these developments over the course of the last 4 years. Hardly impressive compared to what other manufacturers have done, really.

I wasn't happy with Pentax for very good reasons. Now I shoot Fuji and MFT. I'm very happy and would never go back to Pentax (or any DSLR for that matter).

I'm not sure why you feel so insecure about your choice of Pentax. If you're happy with it, then good for you  Smile

However, it might not be the case for others (for good reason) and you should respect that. No need to try to sell Pentax to everyone here.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
The point was - and still is - that Ricoh Imaging made good progress, as opposed to the false claim of doing nothing.

I'm merely correcting falsehood about Pentax, on a topic about Pentax. Not even once did I attack another system/brand, and I'm not claiming that Pentax is superior to other brands either. You, OTOH, are "explaining" your different choice over and over again. Who is insecure, I wonder? Who isn't respecting other's choices?

Quote:No offense, but from your comment it seems you don't know much about Pentax (including the Pentax-Tokina relationship).

To add some information - the Tokina-Pentax relationship was limited to sharing optical designs; each manufacturer made their own version of the lenses, in their own factory (Pentax, obviously, in Vietnam).

6 lenses (2005-2008 models) were part of this cooperation; most of these optics were designed by Pentax (the 12-24 being an exception).

I spent years years/campaigning on forums "for" new Pentax lenses,

.... for a while things were looking promising, with Sigma bringing out new models and Tamron, Samyang have served Pentax well, then things turned, Sigma's latest lenses "stopped" being shod in the K mount, Tamron "stopped" the K mount with the newbies, Samyang still does "mostly".

One thing to remember is having changed to Nikon does not mean falling all over Nikon's range of lenses either!!!, since the D7100 bought S/H, I've only bought the D750 and the D500 bodies and they are grey market!....

Since shooting Nikon I've not bought one new Nikon lens!

I've have however bought 10 "S/H" Nikor lenses.......two Tamrons,  150-600mm (2nd G2) and one Samyang 14mm F2.8. So I haven't been lining Nikon's pockets that much either.

The point being is, I spent time trying to rally Pentaxians to constantly reclaim new lenses and also hoped that Pentax would attract the eyes of TamSig to provide their new models with the K mount,  frankly I'm not worried if I shoot with a 500/600mm lens whether it has Sigma or Tokina, Pentax or Mr. Kipling written on it, as long as it's a good lens.

A shooting system is all about lens availability...many great lenses are coming from Sigma/Tamron and others, I want access to those lenses, with Nikon you have it with Pentax you don't, at least not the recent ones.

To close, I want Pentax to bring out some new lenses or at least rebadge Tamron ones, maybe till they can bring out their own, I suggest some here:

Tamron G2 ......I said enough about this lens.....a game changer!

Tamron 85mm F1.8......a great portrait lens that's is missing for the K1 (Pentax used to make the FA* 85 mm F1.4..a great lens it "was" too)......... Pentax do not have a FF portrait lens, like come on?

Sigma 24mm F1.4 Art ..... again for APSc and FF

Sigma 20mm F1.4 Art......    ""     "       "        "    

Just those four lenses would change so much for Pentaxians, I want Pentax to be great again I really do....so,

<span style="font-size:14px;">Pentax bring out the lenses even if some are rebadged, they could be brought to the market within a year.......then all these stories could be for the history books!</span>

PS, Sigma does have the 150-500mm and the 50-500mm new in the K mount, the 500mm F4.5 in the K mount "was" also available in the K mount, I think it's now discontinued but can be found S/H! 

Well not everyone needs all the features a system has, if a system has what you need why not ?

If it were available here I would even consider it, they have the basic lenses everyone needs.

It's not by all means the system for someone shooting the Olympics, but it's a very viable option for an amateur  who wants a decent camera.
Dave, I know your posting history here Wink but you really should re-read my posts and see the point I'm making - and reconsider yours (the initial one, which doesn't quite correspond with the reality).

Unfortunately, Ricoh Imaging had no control over third-party makers (and is in direct competition with them). It's a matter of us buying their lenses... and some lost opportunities here, until Pentax will have their new primes.

Speaking about new primes, the lens roadmap might give us an insight about what they're planning:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/pro...oadmap.pdf

Some months ago Ricoh Imaging made a very extensive lens This is most likely spam content, so I wouldn't assume that's all they're planning.

Their execution speed is not as fast as I'd like, but their priorities are logical and the results good.

Getting back to the KP, I like it, if I didn't go FF I would get one. It's quite expensive, though, for a Pentax missing some flagship features.
Kunsite,

I agree Ricoh has done wonders for Pentax and has redressed the poor Hoya management, and has kept Pentax profitable (I think)  so let's hope everything will go well for those shooting Pentax and Pentax as an entity itself. The K1 is an epic camera!

As I said I wish Pentax all the best with their future photographic plans! 

Quote:Pentax never did a great lens? Not a single one? Oh, boy...

No offense, but from your comment it seems you don't know much about Pentax (including the Pentax-Tokina relationship).

What is it with you that you refuse to read what is said but always interpret what you think is being said? You are the one who feels the need to defend pentax, and you have been doing so for many years. It is getting rather annoying, however, because you always reply in a way that diminishes the people replying to you.

I used to love Pentax gear, and had many of their lenses, 3 camera bodies (4 at some stage; ME, MX, Me Super, FZ50 or something like that)), mostly primes (20 F/4, 28 F/2.8, 40 F/2.8, 50 F/1.7, 50 F/1.4, 100 F/4 macro, 135 F/3.5, etc, etc), a few zoom lenses (80-200 a.o.), starting in 1975 or thereabouts, I was one of the first adopters of the line of lenses Tokina brought out for Pentax, the 50-250, and the the 28-85, amongst others (late 1970s, early 1980s), and because of all that I did even get a few Tokina lenses for my Canon dslrs a while ago - only sold them on when going FF. I always recommended Pentax to others as well.

However, that is all history. I already quit towards the end of the analog days, about 20 years ago. Pentax did not keep up with other camera manufacturers at that time, was no longer a top tier supplier, and essentially, to me and many others did too little too late to catch up. Whether they brought out some great cameras in the last few years doesn't matter: too little too late for many. Whether Ricoh does great things with the brand now: great, the brand deserves it. But again, too little too late for many, certainly for me.

Anyway, whatever, I am out of this topic.

Regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....