Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storage and accessability question
(12-22-2018, 12:41 PM)toni-a Wrote: I am in windows environment, in fact it's the router that is slowing the whole process, that's why I intend to get a new one.
The router has also a modem, its processor is very slow, if internet is used while streaming speed drops greatly. To non usable lebels around 100k per second
Hi toni-a,

Is that 100k bits or bytes?

Basically, I'd suggest a separate modem to a router, as that way you will likely get rid of the modem bottleneck/internet speed bottleneck (if appropriate), and you can set up a much safer network.
Also, WiFi is never faster than cabled network, provided you have at least 1 Gb network cabling (Cat 6, although Cat 5E comes close I guess). Do note that with WiFi, on your home network you're still bound to the connectionspeed between router and "cloud" storage, so if that is less than 1 Gb, it will feel slow especially with larger files. 1 Gb roughly equates to 100 kB (bytes) when transferring stuff etc., BTW. In addition, processing power of add-on cloud storage, especially the non-business oriented ones, tends to be so-so. You may actually be better off with a couple of external SSD disks, like the Samsung T5s. More expensive, but small, fast and easy to carry around.

As to a decent router, persoanlly I always recommend NetGear stuff for home use. Unlike other network equipement, NetGear stuff has never let em down. You could go for more industrial type equipment, but it gets very expensive very rapidly, but it is not faster, just has slightly more powerful transmitters, and hence larger penetration, plus the capability to deal with multiple connections a little easier at once.

If you'd like some recommendations of specific gear, let me know, I'll gladly help out.

Anyway, my 2.5 cents Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
Storage and accessability question - by toni-a - 12-20-2018, 08:41 PM
RE: Storage and accessability question - by you2 - 12-21-2018, 10:49 AM
RE: Storage and accessability question - by wim - 12-22-2018, 08:24 PM