Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next OL lens test report: Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX II
Old but still quite good

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/...1116_28mk2
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
"That is similar to the competing Tamron and Canon variants but it is one stop(-ish) faster than these two."
Than those two.

"Generally we would expect this lens to be a little weaker though." "This" can refer to either, but I assume you mean "this" to be the Tamron?

Regarding the Sigma 8-16mm, some reviews and image samples put in question its performance...
If you still have the Tokina, try how accurate its AF is in live view?
Happy New Year Klaus (and the rest of the gang).
I was internally running sweepstakes - whether a new review would appear before the New Year. I won $50 from myself. Big Grin

Re: the lens, wonder if/when Tokina is going to update their lenses adding modern motors? It's not like they don't have the tech anymore (so it seems).
(12-31-2018, 11:56 AM)Rover Wrote: Happy New Year Klaus (and the rest of the gang).
I was internally running sweepstakes - whether a new review would appear before the New Year. I won $50 from myself. Big Grin

Re: the lens, wonder if/when Tokina is going to update their lenses adding modern motors? It's not like they don't have the tech anymore (so it seems).
The tech is from Pentax, so they depend on lenses they partner on with Pentax whether it will have the more modern AF. Pantax' "modern" motors are not thaaat modern, look at them as being like Canon's USM/Nikon's SWM, which is 2000-tech. Modern is what Canon does with STM, nano-USM and the newest big lens USM implementations, Nikon's AF-P, Fuji's LM, Sony's XD LM.
For what I'm doing, I'm fine with USM. Smile

Incidentally I bought a Tokina lens today, but as a present to be given away. Thankfully this goddamned motor is going to be irritating another person, not me. Smile
(12-31-2018, 11:56 AM)Rover Wrote: Happy New Year Klaus (and the rest of the gang).

Maybe you will also get a New Year's day review ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Hey - I was totally for going into the review business - who wouldn't appreciate a review of the silver Canon 24-85 on a 5DSR? - but so far the paraphernalia are a little cost prohibitive. Smile
Still I almost regret giving this toy away to my wife as a New Year's present...
https://pp.userapi.com/c849128/v84912802...--iweI.jpg
(1D Mark 4 / 12mm)
Hi Klaus,
Thanks for the efforts to re-test this lens again.
I would like to share my experience with this lens. - I dont have this lens but two photographer buddies have it- one is MK1 and another MK2 . I have repaired two Tokina MK1 CAF
1. Flare - Photozone already menitioned this https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/...os?start=1
We are shooting next to each other Tokina 11-16MK 1, MK2, and old SIgma 10-20. Result sigma is clearly ahead. We cannot see difference between MK1 and Mk2. Other lens review sites states the same
2 AF - it is not the problem in the motor technology - there is a huge play in the the fisrt stage of the gear mechanism. . This leads to un-consistent AF by some bodies, or AF modes CDAF or PDAF. Some body lens combination even refuse to focus - moistly in Live view where AF algorithms are not wel refined. Potential buyers please check the internet for this issue.
3. Mechanical problem is real life usage - I have repaired two Tokina 11-16 MK1 Canon - both with broken Flax PCB cable. Not a big deal if you are handy. Repairment is straight forward no glues or other nasty thinks. Potential buyer please please check real life user experience sites e.g. Fred miranda etc.
Is there something positive? yes
4. Inconsistent assembly quality - The parts have excellent quality by assembly is terrible

- Optically good as you already mentioned.
- tokina Europe is located in the Netherlands.
- Great, fast and helpful service from Tokina Europe