Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumor: Fujinon XC 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Pancake Power Zoom
MTFs here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital...fications/

Interestingly they look a little better than those from the 18-55 and 16-50

My gf is using the 16-50 as a 16/3.5 and guess what? It's perfectly fine. It's featherweight, cost 15$ when bought with the body and image quality is fine. The alternative is the much more expensive 16/1.4 which is also a much larger lens. 

Power zoom is probably there to keep the lens even more compact, they are probably using it to collapse the lens when it's powered off. 

This is an even smaller kit lens with a slightly larger field of view and I'd be happy to get one with the body. It's a great starter lens and works just fine as a cheap wide angle.

Quote:My gf is using the 16-50 as a 16/3.5 and guess what? It's perfectly fine. It's featherweight, cost 15$ when bought with the body and image quality is fine. The alternative is the much more expensive 16/1.4 which is also a much larger lens. 

Power zoom is probably there to keep the lens even more compact, they are probably using it to collapse the lens when it's powered off. 

This is an even smaller kit lens with a slightly larger field of view and I'd be happy to get one with the body. It's a great starter lens and works just fine as a cheap wide angle.

I agree it would be a small wide-angle lens.

Ironically, the reason Fuji made it 15mm at the wide-end is not so much to attract landscape shooters, but to attract the selfie crowd: with this lens you can capture more people while doing a selfie given it's a wider lens. This selfie trend is truly pathetic.

At least it benefits landscape shooters in this case.

I don't understand the logic that if it's a power zoom it can be made smaller. If anything it should be the opposite: one has to add a motor for the zoom itself on top of the existing one for AF.

Olympus features several manually collapsible lenses which are very small (UWA 9-18 and kit lenses). No need for powerzoom.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:I don't understand the logic that if it's a power zoom it can be made smaller. If anything it should be the opposite: one has to add a motor for the zoom itself on top of the existing one for AF.

Olympus features several manually collapsible lenses which are very small (UWA 9-18 and kit lenses). No need for powerzoom.

Afterwards I realized that the lens stays the same size when it's powered down. Sony 16-55 PZ extends a bit after powering it up, I had thought this would be somewhat similar. 
Quote:..., but to attract the selfie crowd: with this lens you can capture more people while doing a selfie given it's a wider lens. This selfie trend is truly pathetic.

I don't understand the logic that if it's a power zoom it can be made smaller. If anything it should be the opposite: one has to add a motor for the zoom itself on top of the existing one for AF.

Pathetic with a tendency to get pathological. Sociological that trend is quite interesting, we are developing acting skills and depend very much on how others see ourselves.

As for the rest of it: A mechanically collapsing zoom lens is a more challenging device (in terms of tolerances and precision) than one which doesn't collapse and uses plastic rails and a cheap motordive - in a way, my G11 also has plastic rails and cheap drive, but it actually is collapsing it's lens.

I've always been amazed of the "cheese" movement - which started way before selfies anyway. Essentially people are faking a smile for a picture. Everybody knows that it looks artificial. It started sometime after WW II , didn't it? You don't really see it in very old pictures. Thus selfies are merely an evolution. I reckon the company that will invent a robot for documenting your life will make a shitload of money ... although imagine what that means in term of acting all the time. Anyway, selfies don't hurt anybody (although selfie sticks ...).

The other day we created a photo book about our life here in Australia for our parents. The reactions were quite interesting - from "where are you in these pictures?" to "finally a nice album where people don't obstruct the view".  Big Grin
Selfies are pantomimic story-telling from people who don't like typing to people who don't like reading.

In a way I'm happy for all the illiterates out there.

Big Grin

Size comparison ... 15-45mm vs 16-50mm vs 18-55mm

Another size comparison - 15-45mm vs Pana 12-32mm vs Sony 16-50mm

It's quite small indeed. I really really like the fact it starts at 15mm.

Klaus, are you going to review it at some point?

--Florent

Flickr gallery