Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM announced
(03-11-2019, 07:02 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Killerglass, according to Lensrentals: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/03...f-results/
Now Now; they clearly stated it wasn't a review just an mtf test. We need the rest of the review before can declare it to be killerglass :Smile After all what good is that resolution if ca is insanely high or bokeh is intolerable.
(03-12-2019, 02:07 PM)you2 Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 07:02 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Killerglass, according to Lensrentals: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/03...f-results/
Now Now; they clearly stated it wasn't a review just an mtf test. We need the rest of the review before can declare it to be killerglass :Smile After all what good is that resolution if ca is insanely high or bokeh is intolerable.

Sadly, LoCA is within sensible limits, and bokeh is rather good too.
After all, which lens company would put a lot of effort into resolution and leave CA unregarded, you2? Big Grin You're right, it's not a lens test, Roger doesn't get tired to point that out. The bokeh remains a big question when seeing the res. numbers only - but flipping over to DPR's sample pictures I can't help but being astounded. How goes this sharp lens together with a creamy bokeh? By improved finishing of their aspheric elements? By moving two instead of only one focus groups? Back in the day Zeiss called that "floating elements", today Sony is not only doing a super sharp, high resolving lens, no, to frustrate the competition they also made it's AF superfast and got the so far best eye-detect AF into their camera bodies.

And I haven't even started mentioning there are subjects (mostly technical or documentary) when photogs look for the sharpest lens with highest resolution. Only that counts for them, bokeh is a side dish. This lens has at double of the normal frequency resolution numbers other lenses might just have with standard 50 l/mm. Translated: Buying this lens is sufficient for a future when 100 MP are possible to squeeze on a tiny 24×36 mm sensor. And this from a company who has not a big tradition in making optical equipment - I think, some kudos are not misplaced here Smile Can't help, but this price is more than justified.
(03-12-2019, 05:13 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: After all, which lens company would put a lot of effort into resolution and leave CA unregarded, you2? Big Grin 

Tokina... [Image: runner.gif]  Big Grin
Big Grin I thought I ask a rhetoric question, but sadly there IS an answer to it
Haha guys! Good comedic content to fill the current review-void.
(03-13-2019, 08:23 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Haha guys! Good comedic content to fill the current review-void.

Yeah, the drought is unprecedented. The other review sites have, of late, slowed way down too - though not to this extent (at least those I know about), so it's not like we can move to greener pastures anyway.