Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bought canon 50mm f1.8 for the third time...
First time I bought it, used ,  then upgraded to the f1.4 sold for same price.

Bought it again last year, and gave it as birthday present, after using it for two weeks.

Today I bought  the STM for 75$ like new with 11 months  warranty remaining, now it has metal mount, autofocus has dramatically changed

I love that lens. I even love the rendering.

Hi Toni-a

Hope the STM has a better quality than the plastic fantastic 1.8, because they tend to break very easily.

But above all I would say enjoy your newest addition and let us know what you think and perhaps show some of the pics you produce.

Kind regards,

Reinier
Reinier, have you had any 50mm f1.8 II break? If so, what is it that breaks? I know that the EF 50mm f1.4 USM has a quite delicate micro USM/ gear system that breaks often when the lens tube is moved by force.

Till now quite pleased I got this lens:

Compared to the old 50mmf1.8 this lens surely gained some weight, however that's not bad at all since build quality is ways better, the mount is now metal, it feels more solid.

As for the focus here you have major changes.

Focus is now silent, faster, for video it has very smooth operation, it's not as fast as ring USM but no real difference in real life use.

Manual focus works by wire now, not that bad especially the lens retracts itself spontaneously when you turn off the camera.

Optically can't comment yet but wide open it seemed more contrasty than 50mm f1.4 at f1.4, will do a comparo this weekend
It is way more contrasty than the EF 50mm f1.4 USM. Due to the optics and the improved more modern coatings.

Hi Brightcolours,

Sorry for the late reply. I see a lot of broken Canon EF 50mm 1.8 lenses for sale on the internet and I mean the ones with the plastci mount. There seems to break a part which holds the front lens assembly in its place.

Kind regards,

Reinier
Quote:Hi Brightcolours,

Sorry for the late reply. I see a lot of broken Canon EF 50mm 1.8 lenses for sale on the internet and I mean the ones with the plastci mount. There seems to break a part which holds the front lens assembly in its place.

Kind regards,

Reinier
Interesting, I have not come across that. Thanks for the info!
Hi Birghtcolours,

Sorry for the late reply. i wasn't able to visit Photozone lately.

On Marktplaats I come across these lenses quite often. The AF fails or something broke. Many Canon lenses fail, like the 17-85mm, 18-55mm, 18-,135mm, 18-200mm and some other lenses.

Mostly it is the flex cable. But also screws coming loose, etc. Of course Canon knows about it, so why don't they come up with something better? The Canon EFS 18-200mm is 400 euro. So, I would expect some better quality for this kind of money.

Kind regards,

Reinier