Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D500 double card slot ...... SD slot fails!
Hi guys,
             Just been looking at some images from the removed SD card ..... tried to replace the card and it would not remain in the camera ..... complete with err message ... pressing gently to engage the card .... the err disappears to be replaced by CArd message, luckily the XQD slot functions fine!
 Ringing Nikon UK they quoted me £350 / 400 euros ....... (£250 for just the part)

I reeled from the shock ...... the camera is now over two years old so the guarantee would have been out even if it wasn't grey market ..... 

...... That is the third SD card slot that has failed on me now.... the K20 SD card would not stay in (new card slot board).... the K3 lost communication electronically with both slots (requiring a new complete camera board) ...... luckily both of those were freebees.

The question of whether pro cameras should have two slots is answered here clearly again .....one card ... one chance ... two cards ... two lives.

there's no way I will pay that price just to have a second SD slot ....
Luckily(?) I have never had a card slot fail. Nor an SD card. Only once had a file system corruption on a compact flash card "lose" files, which I could retrieve with software. Formatting that card solved the issue.

What probably helps is that most of the time I connect the camera to the computer via USB to download the images.

I can understand your reluctance to get it repaired, but if resale is an option in future, it may be important to reconsider.
Once had an issue with CF card on my 300D it was repaired for less than 20$ if I remember well.
What part is malfunctioning aliexpress is your friend here
Is that the part malfunctioning

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bAb3SDcM
With your repairs talent I guess it will be an easy job
(03-28-2019, 01:30 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Luckily(?) I have never had a card slot fail. Nor an SD card. Only once had a file system corruption on a compact flash card "lose" files, which I could retrieve with software. Formatting that card solved the issue.

What probably helps is that most of the time I connect the camera to the computer via USB to download the images.

I can understand your reluctance to get it repaired, but if resale is an option in future, it may be important to reconsider.

After the Pentax's two broken slots I started using Nikon's auto download via a cable on the D7100 .... however when the card is nearly full and you just want look at the last 30 shots taken that day, the program has to look at all the images until it finds the latest ones, a slooow process. 
  If and/or when the XQD slot dies, the "agonising" process of dipping my hand in my pocket will at least get two card slots repaired!

(03-28-2019, 01:46 PM)toni-a Wrote: Once had an issue with CF card on my 300D it was repaired for less than 20$ if I remember well.
What part is malfunctioning aliexpress is your friend here
Is that the part malfunctioning

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bAb3SDcM
With your repairs talent I guess it will be an easy job

Not finding any parts for the D500 there!......
  ....frankly I think a small part of the non payment of the repair would be well spent on another XQD card instead ..... at worst a repair can be done any time and the birding season is just kicking off!
I exchange seldom cf flash cards. and I use USB for file transfer. It this the best solution? No, I have seen broken USB ports.
Happily to me, I've never had problems with FLASH memory of broken usb connector. Only connector is not making snug connection anymore.
I think the best solution for modern camera is to use WiFi. No idea how modern is the WiFi module on modern camera. WFi connection at home between PCs smarphones. an router is up to 800Mbps.
PS- Re-invention of articulated touchscreen in dSLRs took 20 years, I hope that the gap in WIfi technology is not so huge
Just don't give up, plenty of parts should be available on ebay, you'll have to open the camera and see what's the malfunctioning part, most of the times it's just a flex cable, take car however to be able to put back the camera sealing.
Take a video so you can easily go back if anything goes wrong
Personally, I'm not going to go there Toni, lenses are bad enough!

I've been in my hide today and got some well earned bird shots for the start of the season ....... my point about twin card shots has been proved ....

......one wheel fell off ...... but I'm still rolling along!
Well all depends on each specific camera design and where the malfunctioning is.
Twin card was made to avoid losing pictures after a card fails not a rescue feature if one of the card slots fails.
So nothing says in all cameras each slot has a
totally dedicated circuit and wiring and you might actually have a simultaneous failure of both card slots since they have some shared components
(03-28-2019, 01:04 PM)davidmanze Wrote: ●●● That is the third SD card slot that has failed on me now.

there's no way I will pay that price just to have a second SD slot

Then you should start to develop a more gentle handling. You don't need to hammer the card in like a nail. I never had a SD- or other card slot failure during the time I use digital cameras and I always download the files from the cards. Rarely I use the tiny USB-ports, but I admit, I'm too lazy to start Apples app "digital pictures" first - as some cameras are not recognized by Capture One. 

Killing three of these slots with different brands, sorry dave, it appears as the problem is located in the firm thumb of Monsieur Manze.

Oh, and btw.; 3 years of warranty here from Nikon.ch  Tongue

Oh 2: Thanks for waking the forum from its Sleeping Beauty sleep!

Oh 3: Maybe you need to look after a camera with 4 card slots, so you'd run out of them later.
(03-28-2019, 08:07 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 01:04 PM)davidmanze Wrote: ●●● That is the third SD card slot that has failed on me now.

there's no way I will pay that price just to have a second SD slot

Oh 3: Maybe you need to look after a camera with 4 card slots, so you'd run out of them later.

Or a €1600 bill for repairs? Dave is an SD cardslot killer, after all  Huh