Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EOS RP battery grip worth getting ???
I am ordering Canon EOS RP, it should be here next month 
Wondering about the battery grip  EG-E1 Grip
how useful it is
I read it has no functions but adding size to the camera 
Would anyone recommend getting it ?
answering would have been easy if it were available here, anyone got his hands over EOS RP and grip to tell me what he thinks about it  ?
BTW I am bothered by size of my A6000 and wouldn't add grip
Tino, a grip is only a battery grip if it can house additional batteries.
First buying a small camera and then adding some extra size for the little finger. I'm sure there's some sense in this... Good thing is, I can trust my little finger to manage some time underneath the Z 7 and not feeling lost. BC is correct (except with Tino... Rolleyes ), don't talk about a battery grip if you cannot put a battery into the grip. EG stands for Extension Grip, it gives the 5th finger some parking space.

More seriously: This EG-P1 probably will be difficult in any shop to try out. If you use tripod heads with Arca clamps, you might want to look into a L-plate, as some of them are also coming with an extension. Like that one: https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-brac...-2258.html 
[Image: SmallRig_L-Bracket_for_Nikon_Z6_and_Niko...76.jpg?c=2]

They don't show Canon RP on their site, but I'm sure there's one or coming soon.
Hi Toni
as far as I know Canon announced that Canon RP will sell with EF adapter and "Empty" battery grip for free @ March. Kind of Introduction discount
I see that this discount continues up until now in the Netherlands.
The positive side of this empty grip is that it does not hinder the camera battery and card slots.
Did you hear the rumors that Canon is going to release even cheaper RFmount camera?

Happy shooting,
Miro
Cheaper RF mount?
Will it be APS-C?
EOS RP seems just right for the moment, worst-case I can resell it without significant loss.
I wouldn't mind an APS-C camera if sensor performance is good enough.
I read that fuji Xt3 sensor is as good as EOS RP, but I have invested in Canon lenses and flashes.
Put a sensor with the same performance in a camera with Canon mount and I am ready to get it even if APS-C.
I am not after extremely shallow DOF.
(04-20-2019, 02:16 PM)toni-a Wrote: Cheaper RF mount?
Will it be APS-C?
EOS RP seems just right for the moment, worst-case I can resell it without significant loss.
I wouldn't mind an APS-C camera if sensor performance is good enough.
I read that fuji Xt3 sensor is as good as EOS RP, but I have invested in Canon lenses and flashes.
Put a sensor with the same performance in a camera with Canon mount and I am ready to get it even if APS-C.
I am not after extremely shallow DOF.
No, FF. Canon has emphatically stated in various interviews that there won't be an APS-C EOS-R series camera. Only EOS-M. Of course, we'll have to wait and see if they will stick with that over the next few years.

I reckon there may be a wholesale move upwards towards FF for ILCs, if only for the fact that in time mobile phones with multiple cameras and AI will likely be as good as APS-C, or close enough. The good thing about this is the trend we see with teh EOS RP: that is about the size if not smaller than an average APS-C cameras as it stands Smile.

Myself, I am still wondering whether I can wait for the high end (read high MP) EOS-R camera, or will go for an EOS-R or EOS RP for now, or maybe even a used 5Ds or 5DsR.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Canon has stated that as long as it sells, EOS M will be for APS-C mirrorless (compact), and RF will be for FF (bigger flange distance for strength, bigger mount for lens design purposes and less emphasis on small size). Whether in future there would be an APS-C model they don't rule as they can't predict future trends, but none is planned or thought about now.

Any "rumors" about a RF model coming below RP are nonsense rumors.
(04-20-2019, 04:12 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Canon has stated that as long as it sells, EOS M will be for APS-C mirrorless (compact), and RF will be for FF (bigger flange distance for strength, bigger mount for lens design purposes and less emphasis on small size). Whether in future there would be an APS-C model they don't rule as they can't predict future trends, but none is planned or thought about now.

Any "rumors" about a RF model coming below RP are nonsense rumors.
Well, why do you always have to be so b****y negative?

This was a quote from an interview, actually, either on DPReview or Imaging Resource, can't remember which one of the two, as both had interviews with Canon representatives. IOW, not from a rumour site, and neither from someoen with no relation at all to Canon. And I do not feel the need to look up which one, considering the positive remark in your message (and yes, that is sarcasm).

Regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Here is the text from dpreview interview on April 3rd 2019

You haven't considered an APS-C RF camera, then?
I can't tell you what the future plans are going to be, but it is the customer who directs us into our development, so if the customer requests that, it's something we'll try to respond to as best we can.

https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/309659...-as-we-can