• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeiss Otus 100mm f/1.4 announced
Not really news anymore but still ...

https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/int/...14100.html

Axial CAs are corrected ... nice.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Says the guy who complains like

Quote:The bigger question mark may be whether you are bold enough to carry such a brick. At more than 1.1kg, it's not for the weak. While we surely congratulate Sigma for releasing high-quality lenses into the market, we aren't sure that super-sizing everything for gaining quality is always desirable. It's good for getting fairly high ratings but it reduces the fun factor to some degree - and for most of us, fun is what all this is about.

Apparently it has to be the right brand coming up with bricks...  Wink This one weighs 1.4 kg and comes without AF.
I said "nice" that it doesn't have bokeh fringing. I didn't say that I would dare to buy and/or use it ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
For 4500.- € or CHF 5300.- one should be able to expect no bokeh fringing. Apparently enough people have this kind of money to burn.
Or: So few people will want to afford that lens that it explains the high price? Anyway, isn't the much cheaper Sigma 105mm f1.4 already remarkably free of LoCA?
In this aspect the Sigma is better than the Nikkor. But the Otus is an Apochromat, no? I found it remarkable, that no manufacturer of 105 or 100/1.4 lenses focuses closer than 1.0 m. I think because of that, I'm much better off with the 135/1.8 (0.85 m).
I guess that the size(s) of the focussing group elements and space they have to move restrict the MFD?
The 135 mm and the 85 mm both are shorter than the 105 mm. With the 85 and the 105, it's the 10×FL rule to define the MFD, but the 135 it's only 6.5 × FL. When I tried the 105, I often needed to step back a bit - that doesn't happen with the 85 or 135.
(04-26-2019, 10:47 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: The 135 mm and the 85 mm both are shorter than the 105 mm. With the 85 and the 105, it's the 10×FL rule to define the MFD, but the 135 it's only 6.5 × FL. When I tried the 105, I often needed to step back a bit - that doesn't happen with the 85 or 135.

Which 135mm and 85mm are shorter? The 135mm, does it have less elements?
All three lenses are Sigma Art types. And less or more elements - it also counts how large these are, I think.

135 Specs

105 specs

85 specs

The Otus has 14/11 lenses/groups