Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, finally forced to move away from Apple Aperture...
(05-01-2019, 05:06 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Markus, I think that's the reason we're not seeing the step up to D850, as it's not supported by Apple's RAW machine?

No, that's completely unrelated. I might share a bit about what kept me from doing review work at some point, but it has nothing to do with my inability to let go of a piece of software I got used to Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Actually all sample pictures for reviews were converted via capture one
(05-02-2019, 04:41 PM)toni-a Wrote: Even if you move to another ecosystem, just keep your old database, nothing is prefect and you will discover the bug at the worst moment, si better have the original database. I moved to Android, but I kept my old windows phone, with all my data on it, just in case.

Definitely. Since future macOS versions no longer run the app (and future Macs no longer run the old OS), I will set up a virtual machine with Aperture installed in it.

(05-02-2019, 09:33 PM)mike Wrote: The worst part is just getting used to new software. Doesn't matter if it's in the office or home. Once the learning curve is done you end up finding some things you still miss (phantom pain, HA!). OTOH, there's usually a few tricks that eventually you'd hate to be without.

For example, with all the love and hate of Android and iPhone, and having had both, they both have their "nuances" that when you're used to one the other will drive you nuts. Well, at least for a while;-)

True... the more I use C1 now, I see how I just need to get used to it. Or realize, just how much I had gotten used to the shortcuts in Aperture... the same keyboard shortcuts either just don't work in C1 (or use different keys) or, what's actually worse, lead to completely different actions. That will be frustrating for another while, I'm afraid, since my muscle memory is quite stubborn Wink

Now regarding Android and iOS... I don't really consider myself an Apple fanboy (anymore), but there are indeed a few features in both iOS and macOS that I wouldn't want to miss, like backup. I just got new iPhones for myself an my son... moving to the new phones, including moving all data, took less than an hour.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(05-04-2019, 08:06 AM)mst Wrote: Now regarding Android and iOS... I don't really consider myself an Apple fanboy (anymore), but there are indeed a few features in both iOS and macOS that I wouldn't want to miss, like backup. I just got new iPhones for myself an my son... moving to the new phones, including moving all data, took less than an hour.

Actually, Android seems to do that too. My old smartphone died in mid-February but when I got a new one a couple of weeks later most of the apps, data and settings came back (that, and I had a habit of storing what user data I had on the phone on a SD card in it...) Of course some things need to be set to be synchronized (I learned this the hard way when the first time around I set the phonebook to be "local only" and the first demise of that phone took it all away... the second time I made it attached to a google account which I had anyway).
(05-04-2019, 08:06 AM)mst Wrote: ...
Or realize, just how much I had gotten used to the shortcuts in Aperture... the same keyboard shortcuts either just don't work in C1 (or use different keys) or, what's actually worse, lead to completely different actions. That will be frustrating for another while, I'm afraid, since my muscle memory is quite stubborn Wink

In C1, you can change the shortcuts to the ones you're used to. What I couldn't manage so far is changing the 6-7 tabs in C1 to the just 3 in Aperture which felt easier to use, remember and manage. C1 often is unnecessarily complicated.
(05-04-2019, 11:34 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: In C1, you can change the shortcuts to the ones you're used to. What I couldn't manage so far is changing the 6-7 tabs in C1 to the just 3 in Aperture which felt easier to use, remember and manage. C1 often is unnecessarily complicated.

Since my latest test version of Capture One has expired: Can you set up a single letter shortcut like "c" for crop in Aperture?
(05-06-2019, 01:01 PM)Kodachrome 25 Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 11:34 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: In C1, you can change the shortcuts to the ones you're used to. What I couldn't manage so far is changing the 6-7 tabs in C1 to the just 3 in Aperture which felt easier to use, remember and manage. C1 often is unnecessarily complicated.

Since my latest test version of Capture One has expired: Can you set up a single letter shortcut like "c" for crop in Aperture?

That's the default letter for "crop".

The bigger confusion to me was: I was used to hit return to confirm a crop, now I need to use something like V to switch the crop tool to the pointer.
Linux kernel to be included in windows 10

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/185346...el-feature

So Linux programs should work well in windows
(05-07-2019, 10:27 AM)toni-a Wrote: Linux kernel to be included in windows 10

I vaguely remember the POSIX subsystem being available in Windows NT versions up to and including Windows 2000 (NT 5.0). That they returned to providing compatibility with the UNIX family is good, but I wonder what the practical utility is going to be?
(05-11-2019, 10:44 AM)Rover Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 10:27 AM)toni-a Wrote: Linux kernel to be included in windows 10

I vaguely remember the POSIX subsystem being available in Windows NT versions up to and including Windows 2000 (NT 5.0). That they returned to providing compatibility with the UNIX family is good, but I wonder what the practical utility is going to be?

Docker would be one strong motivation (Docker for Windows sucks big time).
Also, the development ecosystem is much richer on Linux. Much more choice.
Could be useful at times.
That being said I'd never use Windows as a primary development platform unless I had to use MS frameworks.
--Florent

Flickr gallery