Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 L USM announced
(05-09-2019, 05:24 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: ".. as only lens" was key ;-)

Ok.

But then: only one lens on a camera with a lens mount is a very special approach in any case, regardless of sensor size Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

And pointing to that one lens as making the Sony lenses being less expensive, can only be explained as being that very special case ;-)
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/porta...e-2-anchor

Canon RF 85mm f1.2 L USM rendering vs. Canon RF 85mm f1.2 L USM DS
I'm not getting all this ..... too big ... too expensive !!

...... here we are on a lens site looking at what appears to be a new radically sharp lens with super shallow DOF....... super-soft bokeh ....... great AF ....... great build ......... a larger aperture than the Otus ....... and it's threatening to be here soon in the real world ....... complete with a new DS brother that promises to make everybody's balls softer !!.....

Isn't this about a once and for all purchase ...... What other magical tricks could a lens manufacturer pull out of the hat that will render these two lenses redundant?

I think many a pro portrait photographer knowing that he has finally got the ultimate glass that will last until it's demise by wear and tear ...... will be all over it like a rash!
It is actually quite funny Smile.

The 85L II with adapter on an EOS R is almost the same size as the RF version, just that the RF version is a bit thicker, and continues that right towards the mount, whereas the EF 85L narrows quite a bit, making it look much more modest Smile. With the adapter the weight is the same, actually.

Price over here for the EF 85L II is 1899 euros, for the RF 85L it is 3049 euros.

However, it just isn't in the saem league, it is considerably sharper, from F/1.2 onwards. I always had to close th diaphragm to F/w with the EF to get good sharpness, even though F/1.2 and F/1.4 were quite passable. With the RF it is just mindblowingly sharp all the way. And it really makes a difference when shooting at high isos trying to maintain a semblamce of sharpness in the dark with a lot of movement where flash is not an option Smile.

It is expensive, andbulky rather than heavy compared to the old EF 85L, but it is worth it, IMO.

Kind regards, Wim

P.S.: There is a cashback for this lens, currently, 350 euros if I am not entirely mistaken Smile.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Over 3000 euros! This is nuts.

Anyway, I remember the EF 85/1.2 L II being called a decent performer (though obviously weaker at the edges at large apertures, but nowhere near the softbag the EF 50/1.2 L was). Has it somehow lost its sheen now?
(08-18-2019, 07:28 AM)Rover Wrote: Over 3000 euros! This is nuts.

Anyway, I remember the EF 85/1.2 L II being called a decent performer (though obviously weaker at the edges at large apertures, but nowhere near the softbag the EF 50/1.2 L was). Has it somehow lost its sheen now?
Well, effectively it is 45% more expensive than the EF version. All considering, that is not too bad, plus, my 85L II needed replacing anyway considering its failing rubber coating. For me it si worth it, as I use it a lot.

The 85L II has not lost its sheen, unless you compare it to a bunch of lenses of 3rd party manufacturers (Sigma, Zeiss), and Canon's own 85 F/1.4 IS, which isn't all that cheap either, it is not the best anymore.

And personally, I really needed an 85 that was very sharp at F/1.2 a weekend ago, shooting in the dark at 12800 iso Smile. The 85L II only gets properly into its rhytm at F/2, and I couldn't get an unbklurred shot at that aperture, apart from the fact that it is quite slow focusing, even on an EOS R. The RF 85L is considerably faster, and excellent at F/1.2 already.

Besides, I'd really want to move over to EOS R now, and will only keep lenses with EF bayonet where it doesn't matter much if anything at all for the type of shooting I do (specifically the TS-Es, MP-E 65, macro in general), and lenses that have not been replaced yet, or will not be replaced in the next 6 months or so.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....