Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony internal battery?
Hello all,

I came across some posts (somewhere else) which claimed that in Sony cameras (mirrorless?) contain fix soldered backup batteries in the bodies; backup batteries to maintain some settings when the normal battery is empty, or removed. If the backup battery is dead, the camera won't work anymore.

I could imagine that this was  the case maybe in older models. I had a Psion once that had a replaceable small battery that maintained memory when the main batteries were empty and needed changing. 
Also, some older Apple Laptops died, i.e. wouldn't boot anymore even when connected to power, probably because some internal battery for the PRAM was dead. 

Anyway, back to the Sony cameras. I googled this, but couldn't find any info. Anybody knows anything about this, or is it fake news? Is it true that Sony cameras contain (or some models did contain) such backup batteries that, when dead, turn the camera into a brick?
When you think of it: Every digital camera would loose it's settings as soon as you exchange the power battery to recharge. Therefore there are (I think) some capacitors inbuilt, they're getting charged as soon as you put the first charged power battery in it's compartment. I read different values about how long this "setting keeper" lasts - some said 2 days, other one week. In my old DSC828 I usually have to charge it's battery and set up the camera after maybe 3-4 months not in use - and who uses an 8 MP camera these days?
I don't know much about cameras in that regard generally, but all electronic devices with any type of memory (except some ROM types) I've come across while working in audio over the past 25 years have had CMOS batteries in them. I'm pretty sure all cameras today have them soldered in as well. They last a loooong time, so I'm sure you'll have bought a new camera a couple of times before the current one is in any danger of running low on that. If it does, just get it changed where you'd get it serviced in other situations.
[Image: Torben%20Lysholm%20Fotografi%20-%20Signa...skygge.png]
I'd have thought that with flash memory these days it's not necessary to have a battery for storing some settings. But that's why I speculated about older devices, before flash so to speak. An internal clock is certainly something that needs a battery, since that is not static, it has to run.
(05-13-2019, 09:37 PM)photonius Wrote: I'd have thought that with flash memory these days it's not necessary to have a battery for storing some settings. But that's why I speculated about older devices, before flash so to speak. An internal clock is certainly something that needs a battery, since that is not static, it has to run.

My two canon camera has flash eeprom en backup battery. there are 3 different type of memory and they all have purpose.
1. Flash for big chunk of data/ boot SW. 
2.eeprom for logging and settings data
3. sram or so called CMOS  / RTC RAM for volatile data - think about RTC - real time clock/ date, logging and telemetry data
So far this 3 blocks are  common for all brands.  The SW architecture is what make difference.