Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EOS RP first impressions
Just got my hands over Canon EOS RP and played with it a little bit. 
Sensor side:  ISO 3200 photos are very clean, ISO 12800 seem usable, quite satisfied, took a few photos of my daughter and skin tones and colors look very accurate. 
Many complain of its dynamic range, I was happy with 7D2 dynamic range that was less than 12 f stops, so I won't be complaining here, I knew this before purchasing. 
The extension grip is a must the camera won't fit well in my hands without them note that I don't have big hands at the hospital I wear gloves size 7 (considered small) weird enough no place to store battery cover after removal inside  the grip, I left it in the camera box. 
Also note that taking out the SD card from the camera with the grip in place isn't very easy but that's not a big deal. 
Autofocus is fast and precise, eye AF is a joy to use however speed side 7D2 is way faster, but no face or eye detect so I prefer RP. 
In low light with flash use, with flash AF assist beam 7D2 ( and probably any SLR) wins very easily, but that's expected, setting RP to one shot autofocus improved things and RP can be perfectly used there. Will be testing this thoroughly this weekend.
So I am quite satisfied with my purchase, this camera is delivering what I wanted from it, I was hesitating about selling my 7D2 or keeping both, most likely I will be selling 7D2.
Will wait one week to decide, since I have four events in a row to shoot, (daughter birthday tomorrow, a local outdoor gathering at sunset on Friday, a photo session for babies Saturday, and 25th wedding anniversary for ten couples on Sunday where I will be taking family portraits and a remake of the 25 year old wedding photo)
Yes - tell us what you think after you use it for a few events.... will be interesting if it lives up to first impressions.
After a few weeks of use, I can say my overall impressions are overall positive:
the camera is very intuitive and it is clear there were photographers involved in its design, all buttons are where I like them to be, liked the ergonomics a lot, Eye AF and metering on the detected face is a game changer, touch and drag autofocus is an outstanding feature, while looking through the viewfinder you can move your finger on the touchscreen to tell the camera where to focus absolutely brilliant feature.
On the downside the extension grip is a must even for my rather small hands, some functions seem to be deliberately crippled to make you buy more expensive models:
silent shutter is only available in scene mode, quite odd, you can't assign a function for exposure compensation to the camera wheels like on Sony, but you can assign it to the function wheel on RF lenses..
Xsync of only 1/180 second: they could esaily do better
I understand now with what you meant that the extra grip is a necessity, as I tried one yesterday. It is just too small to hold conveniently, especially with the shallow grip. The Oly EM1 II is easier and more convenient to hold.

However, the Eos-R is very pleasant to hold, for me anyway, so I decided to order one now Smile, what with the extra discount.

I should have it in my hands on Thursday evening if all goes well, I’ll probably post some impressions too.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Tried a new feature in RP it's c-RAW files.
They are much smaller than normal RAW sometimes as low as 14-18 megabytes for 26 megapixels which is impressive typical raw files were easily 30 megabytes.
And when compared there's very little to complain about, I am not a reviewer, but with the shots I took I found c-RAW just enough for the job
One thing I liked A LOT is unlimited buffer, I would easily prefer this over 10fps of my 7D2