• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 IS USM coming soon
Possibly announced on July 9th. And probably a 80D follow up, and an EOS M camera. And 1 or 2 high end compacts.
On the pictures RF 24-240 doesn't have the new function ring, I thought they would put it systematically on all RF lenses...
Oh it does have the function ring all right, it's the MF ring that got the axe. Smile But I guess you can configure the multi-function ring to be used for focusing, it's just that the target audience may not care much. Smile

BC, I got reminded of that focus ring-less lens you showed. But at least it's now a customizable option.
Yeah Rover, funny coincidence!
I'am curious to see the future of this lens.
Historically Nikon has great success with 18-200 ultra zoom. Canon has bad track record.
I expect short lifetime of this lens. The upcoming wave of 10x zooms smartphone will vanish this segment soon. Marketing seems to be like photography “be at the right time at the right place ”. IMHO they are too late. They just arrive when the Golden hour is falling. They need to open tripods and and setup the equipment, while the time is counting down :-) Can they take a shot before darkness?

On the other hand, my kids are looking at my chunky cameras as historical museum object. The zoom ring is something that they are impressed.
Let’s wait and see what this lens will bring us.
Canon still needs an entry level lens so why not this one?
It seems to be "fairly" large though:
https://www.canonwatch.com/this-is-the-c...r-systems/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
For someone who went for the trouble of buying a dedicated mirrorless lens, let alone a full frame one, a superzoom is unlikely to remain the only lens. I can envision using a superzoom lens when shooting a critical assignment when an all in one lens is required to minimize switching time, maybe a warzone in a desert... (however, lately I've become too fond of two-body shooting that might be an alternative option for such a predicament). Or, scratch that, shooting a Soyuz space capsule descent when you need to get lots of shots with various framing but absolutely cannot waste the time swapping lenses, and don't even have the space to do this inside a cramped helicopter with only one open door (a colleague who was doing this sort of shooting a few times described the process once; it really is rushed and free space is nonexistent).

For (leisurely) travel, ironically, I find the combo of 16-35 and 70-300 lenses works best. You don't want to compromise on quality too much if you're visiting a destination you're only going to see once in your life...
Dunno why Canon decided to omit a compact standard zoom something like Sony 28-70, it might have all the cons in the universe but it's tiny enough with a handy range, so it's selling pretty well
There's also no "classic" compact standard zoom lens for DSLRs. They used to offer a 28-80mm but the only thing that comes close to that is the 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and that's not really a small lens.

To be fair though - IMHO a $100 lens just doesn't make sense on a FF camera. This market segment doesn't need one. If you got financial constraints or like small gear, full format is just not the way to go.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(07-06-2019, 12:30 AM)Klaus Wrote: There's also no "classic" compact standard zoom lens for DSLRs. They used to offer a 28-80mm but the only thing that comes close to that is the 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and that's not really a small lens.

To be fair though - IMHO a $100 lens just doesn't make sense on a FF camera. This market segment doesn't need one. If you got financial constraints or like small gear, full format is just not the way to go.

Well the very popular Sony 28-70 ,Sony 28mmf2.0 and Sony FE50mmf1.8 are here to prove the opposite
Check the popularity of Canon 40mmf2.8 in Canon full frame world
I would be very happy to get the upcoming Sigma 45mmf2.8 if it's a pancake even if I already have the 50f1.4
I am very happy now using Canon 28mmf2.8 on EOS RP, although I rarely use it at f2.8 and I own 24-105f4, on his 6D2 a friend of mine, sold his 24-105f4 and is using the good old Canon 28-105f3.5-4.5

• 1(current)
  • Next