Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD announced
https://www.tamron.jp/en/product/lenses/a046.html

899USD
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
As long as Tamron in incapable of delivering a firmware update to their 100-400 to make the lens compatible with Nikon FF mirrorless, I will no longer look at them.
Personally, I consider Tamron lenses with "there's always something". No lens is perfect but with the better ones, I can usually accept the downsides but Tamron lenses tend to have one weakness that is over the top.

We'll see - the 28-75mm XRD will be here next week.

(06-28-2019, 10:20 PM)Klaus Wrote: Personally, I consider Tamron lenses with "there's always something". No lens is perfect but with the better ones, I can usually accept the downsides but Tamron lenses tend to have one weakness that is over the top.

We'll see - the 28-75mm XRD will be here next week.

Hi Klaus,
I’m a little bit surprised that you gonna test Tamron 28-75/2,8 DIII.
Few facts
1. You dont like Tamron lines – test will be not fun for you.
2. Sonny is the best selling FF mirrorless system.
3. Tamron lens is one of the best selling Sony mount lens
4. As result of of #3 – there are plenty of online lab test of this lens. The tests are done from well known and trusted sites. Simple google search will not bring you here
5. As result of #3 – there are plenty of long term reviews you tube videos/. Videos are made from well known photographers. Some of them claims 1 year test period.

My questions are
- Who gonna read OL test? What is te purpose is this test?
- Do you have fun to test lens that you don't like?

My position
1. On topic
- form it look – Loose loose situation. You wil not have fun with Tamron tests? People will not read your tests.
- Tamron lens offers good balance between size, weight, price, optical / mechanical performance.
No wonder that this lens is popular by many content creators and art photographers. I have used 28-75/2,8 and two 17-50/2,8 for 10..20 years. I wolds say that they dont disappoints me. Tamron 28-75 DIII seems to share the same DNA.
2. Off topic – related to off topic comments above
I’m not brand believer. I’ve tried in the past to find some relation between Brands and performace & quality. My conclusion maybe in 70’s , 80’s I can find some realtion , but not anymore in modern worlds.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }
Whether I like a brand or not doesn't really matter.
If the community demands a test - I will do it - and the demand seems to be there.

Honestly, I wouldn't have done 3 quarters of the tests, if it was just about me.
As long as my analysis is vendor neutral - and it will be - no reader will "suffer".

Of course, this is different in forum discussions, where I reserve the right to comment beyond the formal test.

Thanks, it is clear.

Thanks, it is clear.

One more input from my side. I have no experience with new Tamron lenses. The old one tend to receive medicolare build quality score. While in real live I’ve been abusing then and not problems and whatever. On other side of spectrum – Tokina receive positive build quality score. Unfortunately this does not match my experience with tokina 12-24 and 100 macro

- broken flex PCB for aperture control → result of bad mechanical design As reviewer you dont know inside of lens, what is the clearance between two barrels etc.
- dist collection inside
- bad QC – sample variation. Missing screws or gaskets are common. Several repaired by me lenses.

I hope that I dont not BIAS you positive about Tamron brand.  it is my experience with small amount of lenses