Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon 600d problem menu text doesn't turn when screen is turned.
Hi All,

Today I encountered a problem with my articulated screen. When I flip it, the menu text does not turn automatically, like it should. So, when I turn the screen outward, the text will be upside down.

Which part in the camera takes care of this and where can I find it? I have a donor 600D, so maybe I can swap it.

Kind regards,

Reinier
Hi Reinier,

Try removing the battery, and leave it out for about an hour, than reinstall it and start the camera up again to see if that fixes it.

it is either something like this, or possibly a partly disconnected or worn flex cable. In the latter case, you'd have to take the camera apart, I am afraid, so I do hope the battery trick works.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
To Wim,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately it didn't work, as did the other things I tried. I tied the back cover of my donor camera and this one worked fine. So, presummably the problem lies somewhere in the atriculated screen. Both cables look fine. One flex cable is for the buttons and the other cable ismfor the screen.

I do not know if there is a sensor in the screen ass'y which detects the position of the screen. Do you happen to know that?

And do you know if there a forum forum for people who repair cameras?

Best wishes,

Reinier
I found the culprit. There are small switches in the hinge of the articulated screen. One of these is broken. I do not know if a bit of 'contact spray' will do the trick. I hope so, because a new hinge on Ebay cost 50 euro. So, first order a spray can of contact spray.

Kind regards,

Reinier
It is great you found the culprit, Reinier!

I do hope the spray will fix it.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Thanks Wim!

If you ever hear of somebody whose has dropped his Canon dslr and wants to throw it away, please send them to me . I am always looking for parts. I repair and sell cameras and lenses for charity.

Kind regards,

Reinier
Hi All,

I wrote that the small switches on the hinge were broken, so the text on the screen did not change when the screen was turned. But that was wrong! There is a bundel van small wires which connects the mainboard to the articulated screen. Two of these wires seemed to came loose. They are so tiny that it was hard to see.

Unfortunately these cables or wires cost 40-50 euro on Ebay. Production cost is probably 25 - 50 cents. It is often better to buy another broken camera for parts, than to buy separate parts. Which are always expensive.....

Kind regards,

Reinier

Quote:Hi All,

I wrote that the small switches on the hinge were broken, so the text on the screen did not change when the screen was turned. But that was wrong! There is a bundel van small wires which connects the mainboard to the articulated screen. Two of these wires seemed to came loose. They are so tiny that it was hard to see.

Unfortunately these cables or wires cost 40-50 euro on Ebay. Production cost is probably 25 - 50 cents. It is often better to buy another broken camera for parts, than to buy separate parts. Which are always expensive.....

Kind regards,

Reinier
Remember when you bought the camera new, you did pay 40+ EUR for the cable, that's how things are, of course buying used or dead cameras for spare parts is a much cheaper approach