•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The long-awaited 16-80mm f/4 seems to be ready
Seems like my rage against this lens in the X-T30 thread is may turn out well justified. Fuji is going backwards ?
Lenstip has dragged it through the testing. There are the good and the bad sides to it...

https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=o...est_ob=571
Exactly what I feared.
Very disappointing IQ, especially given how much Fuji asks for it. I'll skip this lens for sure.
I think Fuji makes good primes, but their zooms often leave something to be desired, especially given their prices.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
There's a depper problem than that. First, there are not many good zoom lenses with WR, good for travel and landscape. This should have been the long-awaited replacement of 18-135. Some of the best primers are long due for refresh.

Second - prices are so out of reality, that they depreciate too much on the second hand market.

I love the system, but beeling milked all the time does not feel nice at all!
I agree.
For a general lens for travel, I'm more and more thinking about these 3 options:
1) Panasonic/Olympus body with Olympus 12-100 f4
2) Panasonic/Olympus body with Panasonic 12-60 f2.8-4
3) Sony A7 II (can be had for cheap) or III (if cost is no issue) with Sony 24-105 f4

Sony FE is starting to be very compelling IMO.
Combine the zoom above and a Samyang 18mm f2.8 for UWA, a Samyang 45 f1.8 as a standard fast prime and a Sony 85 f1.8 for portrait, and you have a pretty complete setup (except for long reach) that's very hard to beat in term of versatility, IQ, compactness (overall package volume similar to Fuji for instance), and cost.

A friend of mine is letting me borrow his A7 III. I'll test it for a couple of days to see how it handles and fares.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
If you consider Sony A7ii plus 24-105 a compact option then plenty of offerings from Canon and Nikon could fit, 800D or 250D plus 15-85 or 18-135 for instance both are excellent performers, Nikon D5300 plus 16-85, ok they are DSLRs but where's the problem ?
M50 plus 18-150 is another option butcan't tell since I didn't try it
(12-17-2019, 08:13 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: I agree.
For a general lens for travel, I'm more and more thinking about these 3 options:
3) Sony A7 II (can be had for cheap) or III (if cost is no issue) with Sony 24-105 f4

Combine the zoom above and a Samyang 18mm f2.8 for UWA, a Samyang 45 f1.8 as a standard fast prime and a Sony 85 f1.8 for portrait, and you have a pretty complete setup (except for long reach) that's very hard to beat in term of versatility, IQ, compactness (overall package volume similar to Fuji for instance), and cost.

A friend of mine is letting me borrow his A7 III. I'll test it for a couple of days to see how it handles and fares.

A shame no friend is letting you borrow his/her EOS R/24-105mm f4, as it handles way nicer ;-)
(12-17-2019, 11:27 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 08:13 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: I agree.

A shame no friend is letting you borrow his/her EOS R/24-105mm f4, as it handles way nicer ;-)

But that's a FF-lens. Do you know a really good 16-80ish APS-C lens? The Nikkor 16-85 used to be not too bad, but still far away from excellent. I read good things about the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 Macro but had not played with it so far, and as it is a Contemporary line type, I expect the weather sealing of the Fuji (at least) a tad better.
@toni: I'm not interested in DSLR for many reasons. So I'd only consider ML.

@BC: Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a Canon RP. What I like about Sony is that the mount specification is open, therefore you get many reliable 3rd party options. Since Canon, Nikon and Fuji use "closed" mounts, manufacturers have to reverse-engineer the protocol which sucks big time. AF might not be reliable since it's a best guess effort, and second they might decide to slightly change the protocol to make the lenses usuable. This is what has been happening in the DSLR world so far and is likely to remain the same with their ML offerings. So regardless of what Canon and Nikon do, I won't be interested (except opening up their mount protocol that is). Lastly, the Canon RP sensor is ancient.

@joju: I used to own a Sigma 17-70 in my Pentax DSLR days. It was an excellent lens. In fact, the most versatile standard lens I've ever used, and it was very good optically. I don't understand how Fuji can't manage to produce a good 16-80.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
The most used FL modern F2.8 standard zoom has all but been abandoned for the APSc sensor and now one wonders if we will ever see one for DSLRs!

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next