Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon new CR3 format and DNG
Since getting EOS RP I have been struggling for RAW, 
just read this article 

https://www.dslrpundit.com/2019/02/canon...guide.html

the new CR3 format is supported only in Canon DPP, Adobe converters (lightroom, and photoshop) capture one and DXO
Tried capture one, lightroom and photoshop and didn't like, new DXO navigation is odd besides I have to buy new version just to have support for my camera.
SO I am left with DPP which is not bad but for critical scenes.
There's the DNG converter, would DNG files keep the same color information and data as initial RAW files, would you recommend this approach ?
(07-16-2019, 10:55 AM)toni-a Wrote: Since getting EOS RP I have been struggling for RAW, 
just read this article 

https://www.dslrpundit.com/2019/02/canon...guide.html

the new CR3 format is supported only in Canon DPP, Adobe converters (lightroom, and photoshop) capture one and DXO
Tried capture one, lightroom and photoshop and didn't like, new DXO navigation is odd besides I have to buy new version just to have support for my camera.
SO I am left with DPP which is not bad but for critical scenes.
There's the DNG converter, would DNG files keep the same color information and data as initial RAW files, would you recommend this approach ?

Yes, that would be a good approach, for the time being. DNG is still the number one portable format for RAW. Alternative is to convert to 16-bit TIFF, but that results in very big files.

Once the Cr3 format is supported, no longer a problem of course Smile.

Oh, another alternative is to go jpeg. If exposed correctly, you can do as much with it as we used to do with film, just that it may be more individual work per image.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....