Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
next OL lens test report: Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM
Nice ... albeit not perfect

https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaf...-sony85f14
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Ok, thanks for a  nice review of an expensive lens !!

...... however, the test images for bokeh highlights look low in contrast as does the AF scale showing focus shift ..... the playing cards images even look a little HDR !! ....... in fact they all look "cardboard" like !!

..... everybody will now want to see the comparison reviews with the Samyang at a third of the price .........

........... are the contrast levels really that low ...... anyone else think that ?? ......... I'm scratching my head ......
You shouldn't conclude too much from the bokeh fringing test in terms of contrast.
If the DoF is only a few mm the contrast is often very low. As also mentioned - the images were taken near the minimum focus distance of the lens.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(07-28-2019, 08:19 AM)Klaus Wrote: You shouldn't conclude too much from the bokeh fringing test in terms of contrast.
If the DoF is only a few mm the contrast is often very low. As also mentioned - the images were taken near the minimum focus distance of the lens.

... it's difficult not to conclude what you see with your own eyes ...... especially with expensive lenses .......
 I've just looked at several PZ 85mm F1.4 reviews and most look to have better contrast ..... maybe it is the close distance ....... but it just isn't inspiring!
(07-28-2019, 08:11 AM)davidmanze Wrote: ..... everybody will now want to see the comparison reviews with the Samyang at a third of the price .........

Put my name off the guest-list for that party. I don't care about Samyang.  Tongue Sorry, no longer "everybody".

But f-stoppers compared them already and if you don't care that Lee occasionally gives wrong information without correcting it lateron you will find conformed what you already think, if my guess is right.

I found the detail of the polished aspherical lens very interesting. Usually, it's pressed glass without mechanical treatment such as grinding or polishing because the profiles are too complicated to grind them in a normal lens grinding device. As I understand that bit, Sony just evens out the surface - they don't grind if from a cut piece of glass? I'd really love to visit the factory.
(07-28-2019, 09:01 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(07-28-2019, 08:11 AM)davidmanze Wrote: ..... everybody will now want to see the comparison reviews with the Samyang at a third of the price .........

Put my name off the guest-list for that party. I don't care about Samyang.  Tongue Sorry, no longer "everybody".

But f-stoppers compared them already and if you don't care that Lee occasionally gives wrong information without correcting it lateron you will find conformed what you already think, if my guess is right.

I found the detail of the polished aspherical lens very interesting. Usually, it's pressed glass without mechanical treatment such as grinding or polishing because the profiles are too complicated to grind them in a normal lens grinding device. As I understand that bit, Sony just evens out the surface - they don't grind if from a cut piece of glass? I'd really love to visit the factory.

I think you will find aspheric elements are "concentrically ground" ...... that is why we have been seeing more onion rings in specular high-lights recently ..... it's that that leaves the concentric ridges that have to be polished out ......
  Sony knew that everyone would be looking out for those onion ring high-lights and tightened up their surface tolerances (to an amazing level)....
   Tamron have done the same but to a lesser extent, the G1 15-30mm F2.8 was a onion ringer ...... the G2 version has addressed that!
(07-28-2019, 12:00 PM)davidmanze Wrote: I think you will find aspheric elements are "concentrically ground" ...... that is why we have been seeing more onion rings in specular high-lights recently ..... it's that that leaves the concentric ridges that have to be polished out ......

Possibly I will find that, too. But I had Sigma's 14/1.8 in mind, and this is what the company says about it's front-element:
Quote:Featuring a large-diameter aspherical lens element

The SIGMA 12-24mmF4 DG HSM | Art was the first SIGMA lens to feature a large ø80mm aspherical lens element. Building on the expertise derived from this success, the new lens features a large ⌀80mm precision-molded glass aspherical lens as its front element. This technology has made possible the 14mm F1.8 specification—the first of its kind.

As far as I know, it doesn't show onion ring bokeh. I really would like to take part of a guided tour in Aizu. Except a short visit at Zeiss Oberkochen to check a Planar lens, I've never been in a place where these things are made.
The good news Sony are updating their lenses manufacturing process. Thumbs up.
The bad side: Sony still functions and thinks as an electronics company (although it's actually mostly an insurance company) and still rely on digital correction even for high end glass.
The ugly, Sony is playing " sell cheap printers, we will make profit with ink" that was fine in the 90s but now....
Any chance the 50/1.4 is going to be tested? The last of the ZA series. Smile
Doesnt' seem that great for an 85f1.4 (though i guess the resolution is decent). i mean it isn't bad; but when lenses like the otus start showing up ... or the old 125f2.5 - though i guess this one has autofocus as an advantage. I don't know - just doesnt' excite me but what do i know ?