Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron G2 arrives.
My bad - the eraser is on the right side of the switch or above the B -format-button. Top left - as left as possible.

What damaged brain? Give me infinity symbols, no excuses!  :ph34r:

Quote: 

I think the internet connection is needed to check firmware. Sigma USB-dock does that as well, but I never tried with a disconnected internet.

You are right about internet JoJu!

It is for FW updates! I just disconnected internet and changed a AF setting, applied the settings, and they were changed successfully, then I changed them back.....

...that's dead cool,  it means being able to change all settings from my laptop when I'm out on my travels.

PS. I've had to compromise on infinity, I found a way to get it.   Voila "8"  just have to tilt your head a tad!   Wink

Quote:Give me infinity symbols, no excuses!  :ph34r:

[Image: dring27x25.gif]

Oh, and be aware: For some firmware updates (of the lens) the Sigma Dock needs to be updated as well and more important: Before updating the lens' firmware. Maybe Tamron copied that as well?  :ph34r:

:lol:

Let's hope not!

Why? Basically it's a good thing to get firmware. Sigma and Tamron are now the only manufacturers I'm aware of doing this.

I will get the Tap-in-console also soon. Tomorrow I try the lens, got it today. I was a little hesitating because I know some of your birds on flickr were taken with a Nikon prime, but others are shared in flickr Tamron groups as well, so...

[Image: _DSF9468-X3.jpg]

Like to try on this fresh-Sushi gourmet again. That one was with the Fuji today. My third visit of this place, the bird is very weird - he learnt to tolerate people much more than his colleagues.

Nice shot JoJu!

I could do with a tame Heron, it wasn't long ago I had one that visited the river every day and I could get shots at my leisure of all his jests and habits and they have a wide range of those,  love the prehistoric dead eye look!

Don't read to much into my FW comments, your right of course, I was just think of the autonomous aspect of the dock when not connected to the net, I have become an instant convert to the system.

AF niggles are arising with my Sigma 150mm macro with varying front focus close to back focus distant, no great problem but, the dock system would be useful here.

The internet connection is needed for firmware (of (sometimes) dock and lens) only.

Tweaking in the field is always possible. However, "possible" is one thing, "convenient" another. I once tried to get the AFMA values for - attention, I'll do it again  - ∞ distance with some high houses 1 km away. With and without converter. Dancing around a laptop, tripod, cable connected camera to the Focal software on the hopefully stable enough Gimbal already was enough, not to mention doing all this with 5 or 6 different AFMA settings to read at the end "due to unreliable results we're not sure about the value". Putting the dock behind the lens - no thanks...

Back to the Tammy G2: I know from the video review that there's a difference in sharpness at 600 mm, but the gap to the Sigma  Sports to me appears bigger than expected.  Sad I need to stop down a lot. At close range it's better, but not as good as the Fuji gets. On the other side, weight and bad balance for handheld shots was often the reason to let the Sigma at home - I'm not sure, I lost so much.

Unfortunately my German is poor to non existent (in spite of my mother and my sister being fluent) so I don't know what is being said on the video. 

My short experience with the de-centered Sport showed they were about the same at 600mm and in real world usage the difference will be difficult to see, hence the need for a site which reviews all of these super zooms. (Marcus has just ducked under the table again).

But even between the G2 and the 500mm F4 Nikon it's more about shooting at F4 and getting both the extra light/lower noise than the sharpness difference at say F8-11.

The deal is the Tammy is just so portable and easy to carry and that's huge! 

As for the USB console it's OK when you want to change an AF setting on the fly where you have seen an error and you can just push a setting front/back focus without the huge full AF set up!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/
I was playing a bit with the Tamron inside the house. See how good the VC mode is. I'd say pretty good, but I only had as comparison the Nikon 300/4 PF E with 1.7× teleconverter (which doesn't fit behind the Tamron Sad ).

And IQ? Well, @ 500mm and f/8 and 1/125 I would not bet too much on the prime with TC  Wink

[Image: i-wfgDzsj-XL.jpg]

Maybe things change in bright sunlight and lower ISO, faster shutter speed and no VR/OS - but those are ideal conditions. The Tamron is really excellent in balance, a pleasure to handhold. The Nikon is better in this aspect, but at more than 1k$ more (with TC) I was expecting a bigger gap in IQ. And a better VR as well... Poor Nikon.

Have I got this right, you have bought the G2 in the Nikon mount and are shooting it on the Fuji?

The Nikon 300mm + 1.7 x tele-converter shot is on the left?

You're an official member of the G2 club?

We are brothers in arms?