Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S announced
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_85mmf18s/index.htm
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It looks big (long).
12 elements apparently need some space...

The DSLR Nikkor 85/1.8 G is 26 mm shorter - and the flange distances differ 30.5 mm, so actually the whole package is a bit shorter. Bokeh balls look very cat-eyeish. Now, just one month of wait  Rolleyes or even more, because at this slow pace of introducing new lenses each one gets massive attention - at least amongst Nikon users. Some of them (of us, I have to say) even fantasize how Nikon is up to dominate the market of mirrorless...

*scratchingmyhead* I see this a lot in forums, these fanboy wars, but how can one be this kind of delusional? 3 primes and 3 zooms don't classify for "world leadership". Anyway, I will compare this one (once it's arrived) with the Sigma. I decided to see how far I come with the FL I began some decades a go.
(08-02-2019, 08:17 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: 12 elements apparently need some space...

The DSLR Nikkor 85/1.8 G is 26 mm shorter - and the flange distances differ 30.5 mm, so actually the whole package is a bit shorter. Bokeh balls look very cat-eyeish. Now, just one month of wait  Rolleyes or even more, because at this slow pace of introducing new lenses each one gets massive attention - at least amongst Nikon users. Some of them (of us, I have to say) even fantasize how Nikon is up to dominate the market of mirrorless...

*scratchingmyhead* I see this a lot in forums, these fanboy wars, but how can one be this kind of delusional? 3 primes and 3 zooms don't classify for "world leadership". Anyway, I will compare this one (once it's arrived) with the Sigma. I decided to see how far I come with the FL I began some decades a go.

I'm sure it will be an excellent lens in all aspects ....... comparative with the 50mm F1.8 S ....

I'm sure Nikon regrets their late delay going ML ...... they left door wide open for Sony ..... who have now created a huge gap ....... and are in runaway mode .......

Sigma have also found many a home on the Sony E mount ...........
The Canon 85mm RF f1.2 has 13 elements which have to be fatter due to it being a f1.2 lens. It is 117.3mm in length with a flange distance of 20mm. The Nikkor Z 85mm f1.8 has 12 elements and is 99mm in length with a flange distance of 16mm. That is a 18.3 + 4 = 22.3mm difference. The length of this Nikkor seems pretty right for the lens it is, then.

The Sony FE 85mm f1.8 only has 9 elements and is 82mm long, with a 2mm flange difference that makes the length difference with the Nikkor only 15mm, seems appropriate for 3 extra elements.

Now you can debate whether those 3 extra elements are worth it, them being the reason to the lens being bigger (and more expensive?). Looking the the respective manufacturer's MTF curves, the answer probably is a resounding yes.
After all the talk about advantages of Z mount I was expecting something fat and short instead of Slim and Long. More like Sony / Zeiss version.
Sample images look very good.
What will be next 20mm or 24mm?
My impression was and is: so far it's more a marketing gag than a real benefit for the current lens lineup. Maybe except the 14-30. However, I see it with the fat Sigmas: It makes them not easier to carry in a bag. And Sony's design has the disadvantage of a tight space between grip and lens - not for every finger size.
(08-02-2019, 02:13 PM)borisbg Wrote: After all the talk about advantages of Z mount I was expecting something fat  and short instead of Slim and Long. More like Sony / Zeiss version.
Sample images look very good.
What will be next 20mm or 24mm?
The focal length does not change just because the mount is 2 mm closer to the sensor or the mount diameter is about 9mm wider.

So, why would a lens become shorter?

Or why would a lens become fatter? Faster becomes fatter. The Sony is fat for aesthetics and/or the way AF is implemented, not because the optics are that fat.

If you look at the Canon 35mm f1.8, you can see that lenses can become less fat because of the wider mount: back elements can be big, and designs are possible where front elements are small.

This 85mm f1.8 Nikkor has a back element diameter that probably will not fit in E-mount, by the way. So, in that sense it is a lens example of what is possible with Z-mount and not with E-mount.
The 14-30mm f4.5 is not an example that shows an advantage of the Z-mount over for instance E-mount. A quite recessed back element with a small diameter.
Just a side note, when weight is on the proximal end of the lens it feels lighter than a lens with the same weight where the weight is at the distal end
Z 85/1.8 will be very nice lens, no doubt. Highly needed. Yet somehow it seems to be a case for Sony, not Nikon.
With all Z mount buzz, it ends up bigger and substantially more expensive than Sony counterpart. And FE 85/1,8 is proved to be an excellent lens already.