Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang 85mm f1.4 or Sony 85mm f1.8
Hi all,

Do any of you have thoughts or experience comparing the Samyang 85mm f1.4 and the Sony 85mm f1.8?

I've read many reviews of both but I can't quite decide.

Some review said that the Samyang at 1.4 is sharper across the frame than the Sony is at 1.8, which I find difficult to believe given the excellent performance of the Sony wide open.

Also in the review here of the Sony 85mm 1.4 (which is way out of my budget for a 85mm), Klaus mentions that the Samyang would be a good alternative on lower megapixels bodies, implying as I understand it that on higher megapixels bodies the performance is not that great.

@Klaus, does that mean that you've done some unpublished tests? Or you guess that from the infromation available on that lens?

I have the A7rIII, so I would like a good performance with my sensor.

My main use would be for portraits of my toddler, which is quite active and hardly stays still, so good continous AF performance is very important. Of course thought I would also use for other things like street photography or even landscapes. 

I don't really need an aperture of f1.4, but it's nice to have it if the overall performance of the lens is similar in all other aspects. The price difference is only 70 euros, in spain at least, so that's not important. Anyway, main deciding factors are sharpness and AF performance.

Also, I would like to hear your opinion if it would really make sense to have any of those two lenses given that I already own the Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM. I know that's very subjective, but what are your thoughts about it? 70mm is not that diferent than 85mm, and the 24-70 f2.8 GM is quite a sharp lens..