Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon flagship camera to offer 5G connectivity
(09-30-2019, 12:35 PM)Klaus Wrote: Where did I state that Sony's walkman could play MP3? I suggest reading my comment.
If you want a reference to Sony's first solid-state drive music player - take this once:
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press...index.html

The ipod was released in 2001 - based on a HDD.

About Xerox vs Apple

The Lisa was released in 1983 (Mac: 1984).

The Xerox Alto was released in 1974.
Ref.:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

If you don't like the Alto - take the Star ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Star ) released in 1981 - featuring ... windows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn4vC80Pv6Q

IBM Star introduced "touch" on a phone for the first time. And Smartphones did exist prior of the iphone - take the Nokia Communicator for instance.
My first smartphone was a HP/Compaq iPAQ (2004 or 2005).

Please get your dates, right.

I read your comment "At best that's a mild evolution of the original Sony Walkman concept", which is plain stupid, but with a limited and simpliefied perspective "something portable to play music and listen to it with earphones" and disregarding a rather complex selling infrastructure Sony never had, one can conclude this. Alone, this judgement falls back tot he source.

Again, you Sony walkman with it's overpriced memory sticks of 64 MB (at that time) should be a match for an iPod with a 5 GB harddrive? It's embarassing to bring up this lame business flop.

Bringing up the communciator as a smartphone is the next misconception in your conclusions. My calculator is smarter than this rubbish. So if you don't mind, I don't want to waste more time in pointing out the differences bewteen your stone age devices and the stuff Apple actually delivered as you appear narrow minded enough to just take tiny bits of unready tech which for itself lacked of success for very good reasons. They all failed because of highly isolated, proprietary concepts. Because of their lack of usability.

Best to be seen that nothing of this early crap survived until today and you'll have a hard time to find it in a technical museum. In other words, it was and remained insignificant. 

If you have a hard time to admit Apple made using computers a lot easier, that's your problem. If you want disrespect this company as copy cats, even more your problem. It's just ridiculous. 
(09-30-2019, 12:35 PM)Klaus Wrote: Where did I state that Sony's walkman could play MP3? I suggest reading my comment.

About Xerox vs Apple

The Lisa was released in 1983 (Mac: 1984).

The Xerox Alto was released in 1974.
Ref.:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

If you don't like the Alto - take the Star ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Star ) released in 1981 - featuring ... windows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn4vC80Pv6Q

IBM Star introduced "touch" on a phone for the first time. And Smartphones did exist prior of the iphone - take the Nokia Communicator for instance.
My first smartphone was a HP/Compaq iPAQ (2004 or 2005).

Please get your dates, right.

Get your own dates. Right?

Like I already wrote...A visit to Xerox PARC inspired Steve Jobs and some Apple employees. The visit happened in 1979. Work started on the Apple Lisa, which featured windows, scroll bars, menu bars and more that were not present on the Alto.

There is a lot of information available from the developers on how the Lisa and the Mac were developed, and who came up with which UI part. It is not a "copy" from the Alto. That you think that the Lisa was developed within a year after Xerox finally put out a commercial system, the Star, is your ok.... Can't change that.
I remember that Digital Research limited the number of windows on GEM for PC (to 1?) to not get into trouble with Apple's patents. 

That Compaq iPaq was a PDA or "pocket PC" with cell phone functionality. The whole PDA thing started with the Apple Newton, the term PDA was coined by John Sculley, the Apple CEO. Palm Inc. popularized PDAs by making less capable than Newton but far cheaper and smaller PDAs (Palm Pilot, 1996), and that iPaq you mention is just another PDA with cellphone functionality.

Blackberry more or less obliterated PDA phones which ran versions of Windows Mobile, Palm OS and the likes (can't remember all the systems Nokia used to use), and then Apple made the iPhone which changed the game totally.
That some (you?) want to argue that the iPhone is a smartphone and that since it is not the 1st smartphone Apple copied others... is their problem.
The thing is - Apple was never the first (in terms of product, not patents) except for the first "home computer" and, yes, the first PDA (and then they abandoned it for a decade).
Whether you call that copying or "inspired by" ... well ...
As I mentioned, they were several times the first to transform a good idea into a great one that appeals to a bigger audience. I never disputed that and I never disputed that they have great products. I have a Macbook Pro and an iPad Pro - and I used to own an iphone (3G and 4). But I don't treat it as a religion nor do I desperately defend it like some people (you?) do.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Apple devices are nice and safisticated, but I find Apple cult quite silly. Especially groups camping at the store front impatient to see the new and only electronic device...
(10-01-2019, 03:34 AM)borisbg Wrote: Apple devices are nice and safisticated, but I find Apple cult quite silly.  Especially groups camping at the store front impatient to see the new and only electronic device...

Is that still so? I mean, when did Apple come up with the last really exciting stuff? Long time ago... today it's more the kids of the campers for the first iPhones, no?

Apple cult is no more silly than defending Windows or come up with a word like "copy cats" and meaning Apple of the Jobs era. I have no problem with "Apple was not the first with a cellphone" but calling that brick of a Nokia communicator the first smartphone is plain ridiculous. None of it's owners kept it after the iPhone came out.

There was also nothing Apple copied the Mac Mini from, nothing with this form factor and performance. At the time I came to Apple this Miniwas driven with a PowerPC CPU. I remember being daily in a training center with new "state of the art" Tower PCs keep on crashing because Adobe did such a poor job when they gave there Illustrator and Photoshop apps 3D simulations. At home I used the Mini to scan slides in high resolution, work on 30 open TIFs and waiting for a crash which never happened. At that time I knew how to (mostly) avoid complications on Windows NT and this little bread box kept on processing, no matter what I threw at it.

No more viruses, no more nights spent to set up a crashed system. What I spent on it came back in more time for the stuff I earnt money with and no time to pamper an unready, unfinished system. No more incompatibilities of soft- and hardware, a system ready to use without wasting days of work to customize it. At the end of the day my investment in Apple stuff turnt out to be less expensive than what I spent on Windows stuff before.

I sort of became an Apple fan for 6-8 years, then I realized after the death of their visionary CEO Apple just chew on his ideas and copying their own ideas over and over.
(09-30-2019, 09:46 PM)Klaus Wrote: The thing is - Apple was never the first (in terms of product, not patents) except for the first "home computer" and, yes, the first PDA (and then they abandoned it for a decade).
Whether you call that copying or "inspired by" ... well ...
As I mentioned, they were several times the first to transform a good idea into a great one that appeals to a bigger audience. I never disputed that and I never disputed that they have great products. I have a Macbook Pro and an iPad Pro - and I used to own an iphone (3G and 4). But I don't treat it as a religion nor do I desperately defend it like some people (you?) do.

Yes, Apple abandoned the PDA and since the Blackberry and iPhone the PDA is extinct.

Apple was the first with, to name a few:
  • Home computer
  • Personal computer with GIU
  • Postscript Laserprinter (Adobe's PostScript pushed in the right direction by... Steve Jobs)
  • Pioneered Multimedia on personal computers with QuickTime (1991)
  • QuickTime VR
  • PDA
  • 1st consumer digital (colour) camera (QuickTake 100, developed with Kodak), 1994
  • 1st smartphone operated on the screen, not with buttons, by your fingers (iPhone), basically what we now all use and did not exist before the iPhone.
Of course, there are many more technical software related inventions done at Apple over the decades.
I am not defending anything desperately, I am just countering unnuanced, incorrect statements.
Pictures speak better than words, it's a photography site right ??

[Image: truth-facts-funny-graphs-wumo-29.jpg]
Ok, that was lame, Toni. Just another pundit who always writes nonsense about whatever Apple product you have no actual knowledge about.