Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Sony: becoming the best glass maker?
Canon has traditionally been making the best optics in the industry.
However, it looks like Sony is becoming the maker to beat:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/08...m-f1-4-sp/

Recent high grade Sony lenses have been very impressive to say the least.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I never believed in brands, if a lens has Canon name on, that doesn't make it any better.
In SLR days Canon had large mount advantage.
They are actually heavily invested in lenses and will be surely bringing something really nice, now without the mount handicap Nikon should be shining as well, third party and emerging Korean and Chinese brands are getting better, it's a tough competition and hard to say who is better.
I think that mirrorless lens will have an inherent advantage over DSLR lens since they don't have to be designed with a large gap for the mirror. That should be especially true for wide angle lenses.

New lens designs also have to be more resolving, since sensors have more resolution now than what film ever had, and the gap will keep widening.

Finally, remember that all lenses are a compromise between size, optical quality and price. Sony (and Nikon and Canon and any other company) is able to make even better lenses than these, but the price and size would need to be increased as well.
Agreed..Each and every lens is a compromise between size and optical quality which includes price too. So yeah we have to go with it mygiftcardsite.com
(08-31-2019, 07:27 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Canon has traditionally been making the best optics in the industry.
However, it looks like Sony is becoming the maker to beat:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/08...m-f1-4-sp/

Recent high grade Sony lenses have been very impressive to say the least.
They still do:

RF 28-70 F/2L
RF 50 F/1.2L
RF 85 F/1.2L

The RF 24-105L IS is also not to be sneezed at.

It is just that they only have started with FF mirrorless lenses ....

Even quite a few older (L-)lenses are still amongst the best.

Sony is finally releasing a bunch of excellent lenses indeed, which is good for competitions Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I think olympus hi-end optics are probably better than sony but it depends on what you mean by 'better'; after all olympus really screws up the bokeh on more than one high end optics.
A few excellent lenses don't make Sony the lens maker to beat - and even if so, Tamron just did it and beat the sh** out of Sony's 35/1.4 Wink 

But a huge chunk of the most remarkable lenses lately came from Sony. At prices not too far below CaNikon, if I may add.
Lately most manufacturers are routinely hitting it out of the park. Look at the recent Sigma and Tamron lenses for example.
(09-12-2019, 04:52 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: A few excellent lenses don't make Sony the lens maker to beat - and even if so, Tamron just did it and beat the sh** out of Sony's 35/1.4 Wink 

But a huge chunk of the most remarkable lenses lately came from Sony. At prices not too far below CaNikon, if I may add.
Actually, often higher than Canon ....

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....