Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worthupgrading from 24-105f4L to the newer version ?
I have 24-105f4L on RP and I am satisfied with it, except it's nois in video and I rely on camera built in micro, an external micro would solve it, but it's bulky
I can get 24-105f4/l /IS II very close  to my lens sale value, however I noticed it is heavier and image quality gain is only marginal, however if it's going to solve to be silent in video, then I am getting it
anyone can help me here ?
Go for the RF lens and you have better optics.
(09-01-2019, 10:47 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Go for the RF lens and you have better optics.

Obviously but that's double the price
No, as BC says, do get the RF version, and you'll be happy.

I did own the old versions, and it was really not all that great (putting it mildly), especially in the upper half of its FL-range. And when conditions were not favourable, e.g., indoors with relatively little light, the images got rather mushy.

The new one, the RF version, is actually quite amazing, I actually like it and I never expected to say that about a WA to tele zoom. So far, it also behaves very well in dark conditions too. I am impressed.

And yes, it is more expensive. Justy sell the old one, and save up a little longer would be my suggestion. It's worth it.
BTW, if you bought the RP without a lens, there is a cashback on a lens for it. At least in Europe there is.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
What's the point of having a mirrorless camera if you don't use "mirrorless" lenses?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(09-01-2019, 10:17 PM)Klaus Wrote: What's the point of having a mirrorless camera if you don't use "mirrorless" lenses?

Adapting old and cheap shards.
Hi tony,
I understand your question.
The real problem is that there is no kitlens for Canon RP. You have several options
1.      Wait, canon will made it one day. How long it will take? No idea, for sony took 5 years.
2.      Go cheap and adapt some EF glass. It is expensive in long run. Finally you will be not happy, you have to do several re-sales until you reach satisfactory state.

@Wim – I understand you statement too. I have no doubt that if you can afford premium price. Canon L series is the way to go. Nikon & Sony  have no match in this regard. You’ve made the best choice
Photography side, I am very happy with my equipment:
Tokina 16-28 f2. 8, Canon 24-105 f4, and Canon 70-300IS (might switch to 70-200f4 IS soon)
Plus primes 28f2.8 (my favorite) 50f1.8 and f1.4 85f1.8 100mmf2.8macro
Without forgetting my EFs lenses, however for video most of those lenses have noise issues, I can surely get a hotshoe directional microphone that would solve the whole issue for good
(09-02-2019, 06:19 AM)miro Wrote: Hi tony,
I understand your question.
The real problem is that there is no kitlens for Canon RP. You have several options
1.      Wait, canon will made it one day. How long it will take? No idea, for sony took 5 years.
2.      Go cheap and adapt some EF glass. It is expensive in long run. Finally you will be not happy, you have to do several re-sales until you reach satisfactory state.

@Wim – I understand you statement too. I have no doubt that if you can afford premium price. Canon L series is the way to go. Nikon & Sony  have no match in this regard. You’ve made the best choice
Hi Miro,

Thank you!

As to toni-a’s question: I do not think it makes sense to upgrade from EF 24-105L to EF 24-105L II, basically because, as indicated, it will cost 500 euros to get it, at no appreciable IQ increase. That’s ok if you don’t have a 24-105L yet, but the small difference is not worth that amount of money IMO.

IMO, you are better off in that case to continu shooting with the older lens, and save a bit longer, to get a really good replacement. The price of the RF 24-105L is the same as the old EF 24-105L upon introduction, more or less.

As to kit lenses: over here the kits available with the RP are the RP plus RF 35 F/1.8 IS STM, or plus RF 24-105L IS USM, or plus RF 50 F/1.2L USM Smile. Considering the RP is comparable to the 6D II, I think the RF 24-105L IS USM is a very fitting kit lens. Added benefit is that it is really very good.

There always is the option to get cheaper glass, as any EF/EF-S lens will fit and work well if not better than on EF-mount bodies (better IME so far) with the adapter Canon provides. However, considering we are talking FF here, I’d still suggest to go with L-glass to get the most out of it, unless you have a very specific reason not to, such as specific macro lenses etc. And sticking to EF-glass, maybe the 24-70 F/4L is an option. A bit more expensive, but it is cheaper (and shorter) than the EF 24-105L II new. I do think that once you get into FF territory, you should try and maximize what you can get out of it, and to maximize the EOS R system, I would really suggest to go for RF lenses in case of replacement. 

Just my 2c of course ....

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....