Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watt kind of pictures did you take at the age of 22?
When I was 22, I was sort of happy to get a picture at all. More than 30 years later, I am sort of happy if I can see sort of sharp animals in a picture. Occasionally.

This Michel D'Oultremont... I wonder which kind of pictures he will take in 30 years from now, being already a master at his age. If I was not so overwhelmed, I'd be jealous  Huh or envy at least.

On his website are two nice videos and stunning projects and I wonder how this chap gets that kind of lenses at his age. I'm tempted to book a day with him.

At the age of 22 I was a happier photographer for sure ...

* Because carrying a tripod didn't bother me

* Individual images had a higher importance (remember that film was involved with costs ...)

* No pixel peeping

What kind of pictures did I take? Better pictures. Seriously. Because I did put more efforts into all this.

For me, it was some random stuff around the city, and some (crude) news shots because at the age of 22 - in 2003 - I was only just starting to work in the media. It was an embarrassment in most ways, and I prefer not to keep many memories of that time if I can help it.

I was using a borrowed Nikon Coolpix 3500 for that, believe it or not.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/750023...ikoncp3500

Things became a little more interesting with the arrival of my first own camera, the Panasonic DMC-FZ1, but I was still years away from anything remotely resembling decent skills.

Voilà, my site from my youth when we shared a "hippy household" at  76 Station Road, Broxbourne.

We were all keen photographers at that time, thirty years later a friend (who recently died) and I were talking about the "old days" of this rented shared residence.......and we decided to publish a site dedicated to the memories of this great epoch.

.....  a lot of slide scanning went on......... the slides had been kicking around in my family's loft and had suffered considerable mould damage, eventually after many hours of de-spotting we published them.

http://www.76stationroad.hippies.co.uk

(click  galleries).

It was an amazing period that lasted eight years........the only worry is my now deceased friend is the registered owner of the paid site and who knows how long it will stay up on line?

5 team points are available for spotting my old and well loved Voigtlander Bessa MkII lying amongst the chassis of my huge home made monster valve amplifier (B+W image taken on a college 4X5" plate camera)

Man, the fun we had.......the weirdos we knew.....the parties....the times spent out of mind....those sweet and pretty girls........everybody had a huge HiFi...a jukebox in the kitchen......everywhere the noise was unbelievable..........crazy, crazy times.......and many are no longer with us!..

........Oh, if only I could do it all again!  

Before more of you fellas go back in time and try to answer the question of the thread, I need to say: My intention was to point out that there's a young fellow walking around and  doing pictures like these:

[Image: 14-1024x683.jpg]

[Image: DO_5005-2-1024x683.jpg]

At that age I was fiddling around with a borrowed Novoflex 400 mm, ocassionally, but never ever came close to what he is already presenting in his gallery - which contains pictures he did before he celebrated 22nd birthday. I have no overview about nature photographers, but at this age being one of the top, is remarkable.

Nice pictures Dave - a house for living in! At 22 I had transitioned to digital with a purchase of a EOS 300D and shot a lots of pictures in Menorca while working as a sailing instructor. I like this one as it captures the mood of the fiester. Night time action photography with a 18-125 zoom however wasn't the natural domain of the 300D unfortunately. 

[Image: 190307_1002229869123_6072_n.jpg?oh=70a20...e=5AF18709]

I definitely have more of a style now. There's a theme to my compositions that stands out that wasn't there when I was 22.

More importantly, when I was 22 I valued the picture I worked the hardest to get. If I gave blood hanging off a cliff.... It must be a great picture.

It wasn't until years later when I was in a photography club showing a picture and the guest NG photographer picked up my that envelope your developed film was in while I was showing one of them and told me I needed an unbiased editor to look at my pictures. It was obvious to her what I was choosing the shot I worked the hardest to get. Not the best work.

Interesting question. 3 decades ago at 22, I did travel for 3 months through China. Great adventure. I had Minolta X300 kit with me and during the time took around 600 photos, by far more than ever before. 6 shots per day on average. ;-)

Photographically, China travel was great learning. Vast amount of photo opportunities and more than enough time to think about them. The best takeaway was I started to enjoy people and street photography. Still love it.
Love all the above responses.  I get the impression that most people's dullest days at age 22 were better than my best days!  I should be a little ashamed that my Rebel XTi + MF lens days produced some photo's I'd be hard pressed to do with my 5D Mark II and Canon L glass.  But the fact is a Rebel XTi + MF + tripod seems to be very effective.  I like my active no tripod freedom, but I think Klaus may have inspired me to dust off the tripod every now and then!  Just for old time's sake!

To be honest the quality of camera gear vs quality of photos seems to bear little correlation in my experience.