Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample gallery - Sigma 45mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary
Some snaps taken with the wrongly named lens:
https://photozone.smugmug.com/Sigma-45mm...temporary/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Why "wrongly"? Is that because the aperture ring on a lens does not feel very "contemporary"? Smile
"Contemporary" has a comsumerish flavour to it. However, this build quality is top-notch and the IQ is very good (unsurprisingly).

Well, they have only 3 lines AFAIK, and this is neither a "Sport" lens (long telephoto lenses), nor an "art" lens (large aperture lenses). So, that pretty much leaves it in the Contemporary line (anything else), which makes sense for a f2.8 prime lens.
(09-03-2019, 06:15 PM)Spinifex Wrote: Well, they have only 3 lines AFAIK, and this is neither a "Sport" lens (long telephoto lenses), nor an "art" lens (large aperture lenses). So, that pretty much leaves it in the Contemporary line (anything else), which makes sense for a f2.8 prime lens.

Exactly. And I would say it'd be rather hard to find a bad lens amongst the contemporary line - maybe you need to step back from the idea, slow aperture and affordable price = low quality, Klaus? Wink

The Sports line btw - this 70-200/2.8 is a real brick, but it focuses as if it would ask "low light? what low light?" - is just for more weather sealing plus even more solid build with more metal involved, might take some rough treatment.

As nice as the sample shots are to look at - none of them is a real challenge for a lens, isn't it?
So f/2.8 in a zoom lenw is good enough for ART but not in a prime lens ;-)
The speed argument isn't even applicable - e.g. the 16mm/30mm/56mm f/1.4 are clearly fast but no ART lenses either.
Conversely, the 19mm/30mm F2.8 ARE ART lenses.

@JJ - where did I say that "Contemporary" = low quality?

In conclusion - the 45mm has the wrong category.

If "consumerish flavor" doens't mean "shitty and cheap" in nicer wording, I really don't know...

Why don't you tell Sigma about their mistakes? Plural, because the fast 16, 30, 56 with f/1.4 are also contemporary (so the new lens is not suffering "bad", "comsumerish" stink), the slow 24-105/4 is in the Art Category and spreads it's consumerism there, contaminating all other bricks as well as the slow 12-24/4.

And the 60-600 became a member of Sports line. Sports just means "you better work out like Jared "the muscle" Polin to handhold these canons".

I now could say - but I don't - regarding the sample pictures, "Art" would be hard to see in it Big Grin But as I said, I don't say it. I just write about the eventuality.

How about the explanation "Sigma needs to fill up some low populated categories"?
No time for art and if I did I wouldn't post it in a review for free. ;-)

(09-04-2019, 08:07 AM)Klaus Wrote: No time for art and if I did I wouldn't post it in a review for free. ;-)

Best possible answer to my sarcastic post Smile
Designed specifically for full-frame mirror less, the Sigma 45mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary lens is an especially compact prime with impressive performance tellthebell.