Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photo Backpack for Travel
Big Grin 
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this subject in. Not the sexiest subject either[Image: sad.png] Anyway, looking for a photo backpack for travel. 

What I would like:

A hybrid design. Gear on the bottom and a top compartment for swag.

Relatively easy access to the gear. It would be nice if I could access gear while holding the pack.

The top compartment big enough to hold items for the day. Things like a pack-able jacket, umbrella, food, sunglasses, long sleeve shirt and other nik-naks.

Plus the standard stuff like outer pockets, comfortable straps, and fits beneath the seat on a plane.

From what I see out there, most easily meet my camera gear needs; Pen-F with mounted lens plus two zooms and two fixed lenses. The zooms are consumer type, e.g. not fast. The fixed lenses are small, but fast.

The hard part of looking for a bag like this is there isn't category. Which means a lot of clicking on bags. Then, a lot of the bags only have room for a few very small items, like sunglasses and a few granola bars, in the top compartment.

Not interested in a sling either.
I'm also in the process of replacing a bag, but for me slingshots are not out of the choice. However, as a Rucksack you checked also Manfrotto Befree Advanced Rear Rucksack?

Just saw it a couple of minutes ago. Have no idea about the quality, but after ThinkTank disappointed me massively by not answering mails or support requests, it's time for me to find another brand.
My advice, don't get a camera bag before trying it yourself, you will know exactly what you need, I got lowepro huge camera bag it can accommodate easily 2 big Canon DSLRs plus maybe five lenses plus a 17 inch laptop, excellent on paper, huge to carry.
I learnt the hard way, easy access to gear isn't always a great idea, I always deposit my camera and bag then swap lenses.
Big Grin 
(09-03-2019, 04:17 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: I'm also in the process of replacing a bag, but for me slingshots are not out of the choice. However, as a Rucksack you checked also Manfrotto Befree Advanced Rear Rucksack?

Just saw it a couple of minutes ago. Have no idea about the quality, but after ThinkTank disappointed me massively by not answering mails or support requests, it's time for me to find another brand.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one. Which is why I posted[Image: biggrin.png] What happened with ThinkTank? I rather like my MM 25i. The quality has been good and the size is perfect for my kit.

The Manfrotto Befree is similar to the Lowepro Fastpack BP in it's made to hold a lot of gear and have a smallish top compartment. Great for a few odds and ends like sunglasses and headphones. I have considered the Fastpack and to layout the gear compartment to carry non-photo gear like a packable rain jacket etc. Stuff I won't need a lot.

The ones that peak my interest the most at the moment are the Tamrac Tradewind, the Vanguard Havana, and the Lowepro Hatchack backpacks. Each comes in a couple of sizes have their pros and cons. Still hoping for more suggestions!

I had the smaller sized Tradewind that was stolen (yes, with gear...). Always wished it had more space for non-photo gear.  It does seem as the packs get bigger the camera gear section grows exponential vs the non-camera gear section.  Some, like the Hatchback, have such a difference in size between the small and large they really should have a mid size!
To ThinkTank I developed mixed feelings. Was a big fan of it and own a couple of their bags. Then I told them about the (too) small pockets on the outsode of their bags which makes me store things like a purse inside. Kept forgetting to close the zipper and bang... three times while owning this bag soemthing this bad thing happened - my fault to forget to close the zipper, but the outer compartment holds just a passport and a cellphone to be full.

No response.

One day the steel frame of the sling-o-matic 20 broke. Just because the designer was not aware to create a predetermined breaking point by slamming 90° chisels into the wire:

[Image: i-7kT97sH-L.jpg]  
It simply had to break one day...

[Image: i-Ps5wMLD-L.jpg]

[Image: i-D8v2hTF-L.jpg]

I reached out to ThinkTank as their warranty cobers this kind of material and design problems "for as long as you use it" . No reponse.

I tried to get in touch with the Swiss importer. They said they never got my mail. And they feel sorry that I don't want to remain in their customer database.

Now thanks to your thread I sent a last Mail to TT, so far I got one repsonse, but no real solution.

That Sling-o-matic was my favourite bag. Maybe I can fix it. The metal works wont be a problem, but the seams were extremely well made and I doubt I find someone who can sew them as they were. And afterwards the problem with the outer pocket would remain.

Therefore I also follow this thread. I will also look into your suggestions, thanks for them.