Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax APS-C DSLR in development
An f/1 lens is a showcase lens. I don't think that there's a business case around this alone that could fly.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(09-23-2019, 01:38 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: That under-OVF sensor may just be a sensor to switch the LCD off when you bring the OVF to your eye.

Most definitely not. Imagine the camera in LiveView and you a proud Penatxian comes too close to the sensor with his hand or whatever: LV stops and needs to be started again. So far my guess is a hybrid EVF.
(09-23-2019, 04:23 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 01:38 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: That under-OVF sensor may just be a sensor to switch the LCD off when you bring the OVF to your eye.

Most definitely not. Imagine the camera in LiveView and you a proud Penatxian comes too close to the sensor with his hand or whatever: LV stops and needs to be started again. So far my guess is a hybrid EVF.

You are overthinking it. It is not for use during live view.
Look at the back of the EOS 450D I used to have:
[Image: DSC_0284_f3f53d91-42d6-434c-ad61-48942a7...0x2000.JPG]
See that sensor under the OVF? Looks kinda the same, doesn't it? During OVF use, the LCD is on when you don't put it to your eye, and off when you do put the OVF to your eye. That is the only thing that sensor does. It cuts out the distracting light from the LCD when you look through the OVF, without having to do anything else.
Of course it will not cut out liveview when in liveview, why would they use that sensor in such an obstructive way?

And LOL @ Fuji. A fast standard prime would make a modicum of sense, since Fuji can't make FF on that X-mount. 33mm f1.0 would be a 50mm f1.5 FF equivalent. They apparently scrapped it because they were at 1300 grams (for a 50mm f1.5 equiv.....). Just a quick comparison: the Canon RF 32mm f1.4 STM weighs 23 grams.

So now they will make a 50mm f1.0 for APS-C (FF equivalent: 75mm f1.5). Yeah, 75mm FF equiv. is a very popular FOV.

Somehow I think that designing a 33mm lens that is one stop faster than that 32mm Canon without it being that huge and that heavy is not impossible.

I think you meant to say 235g for the Canon RF 32mm f1.4. 23g for such a lens would be quite an achievement! ;-)

That being said I agree that 1.3kg for a Fuji 33mm f1, no matter how good, is simply absurd. Some Fuji lenses are very large for not such good reason. Although they are good, these are too big for what they are IMO: Fuji 16-55 f2.8, Fuji 80mm f2.8 macro, Fuji 90mm f2.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Thanks for correcting my typo ;-)
The LCD is likely a touch screen - it looks the same as the one in the GR III. Which means the sensor above it would not merely turn off the annoying LCD light (good point there), but also disable the touchscreen so you won't change settings with your nose.
Despite the touch screen, the joystick is mandatory in such a camera; you cannot e.g. operate a touch screen with gloves, and this isn't made only for ideal weather conditions.

And... it looks like the AF module will be different, likely with better coverage; the joystick might also indicate more AF points.
Let's sit tight and wait to see to which extent this camera will address Pentax' performance issue.
(10-04-2019, 12:56 PM)Kunzite Wrote: The LCD is likely a touch screen - it looks the same as the one in the GR III. Which means the sensor above it would not merely turn off the annoying LCD light (good point there), but also disable the touchscreen so you won't change settings with your nose.
Despite the touch screen, the joystick is mandatory in such a camera; you cannot e.g. operate a touch screen with gloves, and this isn't made only for ideal weather conditions.

And... it looks like the AF module will be different, likely with better coverage; the joystick might also indicate more AF points.
Let's sit tight and wait to see to which extent this camera will address Pentax' performance issue.
EOSRP touchscreen stays active when using EVF, touch and drag autofocus is an awesome feature, I never never had issues with my noise changing settings, IMHO it's better than the joystick on my 7D2, having both and being able to choose is a good idea, mainly for extreme weather conditions
Off topic:

I was responding to a forum question about the Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 MkII (non OS) lens in the Pentax mount (which I had) an went to link the PZ review of the lens ...... only to find it "not there" under the Pentax K mount section.
I'm certain PZ tested the lens, as it was compared closely to the Pentax 50-135mm version.
Does PZ/OL ever compare lenses closely? Or did you just remember it that way? PZ/OL tested the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 OS and mentioned the Tokina 50-135mm f2.8 briefly.
The guys also tested the old 50-150/2.8 in Nikon mount.