Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF 24-70mm f2.8 L IS USM and 15-35mm f2.8 L IS USM
The Canon Canon RF 24-70mm f2.8 L IS USM and RF 15-35mm f2.8 L IS USM will be announced next month.
Looks like Nikon is filling in the bit slower end first, and Canon the faster end first?
It's a bit funny - Canon is releasing many pro lenses with only a consumer body at hand.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Honestly, I have no idea how Nikon thinks to survive. If new lenses cut the benefit because of the R&D costs and they think they can reduce the loss by slowing the introduction of genuine glass, how do they want to convince Non-Nikon photographers to choose their Z-system? 

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/08/06/nikon...-out.aspx/

15% loss in the first quarter?

Do they want to wait until the last Nikon-DLSR owner dies? Best I can say about the S-lenses: "they are sharp, light and comparatively small" - just to add "and expensive, relying on software correction, being super dull, with moderate speed (at best), very incomplete and with big gaps and at the same time double versions on the roadmap". Nikon sort of has to be happy, that Canon's bodies are not that well received by some reviewers, but I'm afraid, they close their eyes on what Canon already threw out of glass - and will continue to do so. It will remain interesting , but I don't have to remain a Nikon owner.
Canon will also release the RF 70-200 F/2.8 in December, and is apparently working on a 5Ds replacement, probably going to be called the RS, 80 megapixels, with new sensor technology. It seems they are testing two different sensor variants in the field currently.

As to Nikon, I feel really very sorry for them, I do hope they will survive, in a good way, not like a certain other Japanese brand, the one that claims people will eventually abandon mirrorless and come back to dslrs ....

I don't particularly think the EOS R is a consumr body, BTW, more a prosumer one. The RP is a consumer variant, yes, but even that is arguably quite an advanced consumer body.

BTW I do like the EOS R, just has a bit of a (re)learning curve for me, as the last Canon I shot was a 5D Mk II, and that I sold last October. IOW, I hadn't shot a Canon for 9 months more or less. In combination with too little time to shoot as much as I'd like over the past 3 years due to too many other commitments, I find I have to relearn a lot Smile. OTOH, there always is the quick menu Smile.

And over the past few days I extended my lens count for the R-system quite a bit Smile. I was asked to shoot a wedding the upcoming weekend, as a second photographer Smile.

I do hope Canon will not only release more consumer lenses, but will also releas F/4 versions of all their pro zooms, and smaller L primes as well, as in, F/2 and/or F/2.8 ones in the popular FLs. The new top L primes are just a little too large and heavy for me to carry around at all times. I am currently looking at some adapted Leica glass for the light versions of it all Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
We don't know what Nikon will announce next month. I am sure they are in the hurry to provide the usual F2.8 trio.

"I do hope Canon will not only release more consumer lenses, but will also releas F/4 versions of all their pro zooms, and smaller L primes as well, as in, F/2 and/or F/2.8 ones in the popular FLs"

Wim, I'm sure Canon will use the same menu in their newly renovated R kitchen...

How did the wedding go?
Canon is putting out some "pro" lenses before coming with (a) professional body(ies), which makes sense instead of doing it the other way around. It also gives Canon the time to develop and mature professional grade bodies (which is more than just specs), work on their processors (Canon has lost the lead and gotten behind in the last few years where processors are concerned) and other aspects.
(08-08-2019, 05:25 AM)borisbg Wrote: We don't know what Nikon will announce next month. I am sure they are in the hurry to provide the usual F2.8 trio.

"I do hope Canon will not only release more consumer lenses, but will also releas F/4 versions of all their pro zooms, and smaller L primes as well, as in, F/2 and/or F/2.8 ones in the popular FLs"

Wim, I'm sure Canon will use the same menu in their newly renovated R kitchen...

How did the wedding go?

Hi Boris,

The wedding is only the upcoming weekend Smile. Still preparing for it. I'll take the EOS R, the 3 R-lenses I now have, and a couple of EF lenses with adapters along, and plenty of batteries (currently have 5, so that should be well enough considering the way I shoot Smile).

It will certainly be a lithmus type of test Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Time is the only thing Canikon doesn't have.
(08-08-2019, 10:34 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Canon is putting out some "pro" lenses before coming with (a) professional body(ies), which makes sense instead of doing it the other way around. It also gives Canon the time to develop and mature professional grade bodies (which is more than just specs), work on their processors (Canon has lost the lead and gotten behind in the last few years where processors are concerned) and other aspects.

Do they want to wait until the last Nikon-DLSR owner dies? Best I can say about the S-lenses: "they are sharp, light and comparatively small" - just to add "and expensive, relying on software correction, being super dull, with moderate speed (at best), very incomplete and with big gaps and at the same time double versions on the roadmap".
(10-02-2019, 07:55 AM)charles15 Wrote:
(08-08-2019, 10:34 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Canon is putting out some "pro" lenses before coming with (a) professional body(ies), which makes sense instead of doing it the other way around. It also gives Canon the time to develop and mature  professional grade bodies (which is more than just specs), work on their processors (Canon has lost the lead and gotten behind in the last few years where processors are concerned) and other aspects.

Do they want to wait until the last Nikon-DLSR owner dies? Best I can say about the S-lenses: "they are sharp, light and comparatively small" - just to add "and expensive, relying on software correction, being super dull, with moderate speed (at best), very incomplete and with big gaps and at the same time double versions on the roadmap".

Klaus, can you please delete this post of charles15? It's just another asshole bot, copying from other posts without knowning what it means, in expectation that someone clicks on his sigature - people, I only can warn you to click stuff of doubtful sources, you might get a trojan or other shit.