Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Panasonic/Leica 10-25mm f1.7
The lens shows some very impressive performance: https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=o...est_ob=567

I'm almost tempted, if it wasn't so expensive!
--Florent

Flickr gallery
It is wide enough for most things (20mm FF equiv), but pretty slow for the 35-50mm equiv. range (f3.4). So not exactly a great candidate to replace a few primes, and quite an odd range to replace a standard zoom... I would not be tempted as it misses the point.

I have such a point-missing lens too: 35-70mm f3.5-4.5. Misses the wide end to replace a standard zoom, and pretty slow to replace primes. But it cost me €8, which just makes it a fun thing to play with (and I happen to have a small 20mm prime to ease the wide angle pain).
I think the biggest issue of this lens is the size.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(09-25-2019, 06:30 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: It is wide enough for most things (20mm FF equiv), but pretty slow for the 35-50mm equiv. range (f3.4). So not exactly a great candidate to replace a few primes, and quite an odd range to replace a standard zoom... I would not be tempted as it misses the point.

I have such a point-missing lens too: 35-70mm f3.5-4.5. Misses the wide end to replace a standard zoom, and pretty slow to replace primes. But it cost me €8, which just makes it a fun thing to play with (and I happen to have a small 20mm prime to ease the wide angle pain).

In the scope of MFT, yes it's a great candidate to replace the primes in the overlapping range.
Plus, there is no prime < 12mm with such a fast aperture.

I have to opposite opinion about the focal range. For my type of photography, it's much more suitable than a classic (FF equiv) 24-70 range for example.
When I shoot landscape, 24mm is too limiting. When I mount a (FF quiv) 16-36mm zoom, I usually don't really need the extreme ultra-wide FL but I'm limited at the long end: 36mm is too short. I find the 20-50mm equiv range to be super useful and convenient. At 50mm you can still shoot nice portraits (my most used lens is the Fuji 35mm f1.4 lens which is about 52mm FF equiv).

As Klaus said, I think the main issue beside the price is the huge size.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I don't get the price here... knowing for less than half the price you can get panasonic LX100MKII with a 10.5-34f1.7-2.8 lens is one f stop in MFT world worth that much ? or is this lens really special ??
(09-25-2019, 07:13 PM)toni-a Wrote: I don't get the price here... knowing for less than half the price you can get panasonic LX100MKII with a 10.5-34f1.7-2.8 lens is one f stop in MFT world worth that much ? or is this lens really special ??

The LX100 Mk II uses a MFT sensor but not the whole sensor is used. Therefore, the crop factor is 2.2x vs 2x for MFT.
Consequently, the LX100 lens is equivalent to a 12-35 f1.9-3.1 in MFT term (equiv to a 24-70 FF in term of focal range).
This is quite different from a 10-25 f1.7. Also, the 10-25 provides much better IQ.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(09-25-2019, 09:43 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: In the scope of MFT, yes it's a great candidate to replace the primes in the overlapping range.
Plus, there is no prime < 12mm with such a fast aperture.

There is - the Voigtlander Nokton 10.5mm f/0.95
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
He may have meant "with such a slow aperture" Wink
(09-26-2019, 10:22 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: He may have meant "with such a slow aperture" Wink

When looking at many of your postings Brightcolours, it is clear that you meet the criteria for an internet troll. Why you are allowed to continue is hard to understand...

/Portello

(09-26-2019, 11:35 AM)Portello Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 10:22 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: He may have meant "with such a slow aperture" Wink

When looking at many of your postings Brightcolours, it is clear that you meet the criteria for an internet troll. Why you are allowed to continue is hard to understand...

/Portello

With your one post you already qualify as a flamer. Congratulations. Which is your other forum name?