Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full frame digital vs large format film plus some equivalence talk...
https://petapixel.com/2019/10/01/full-fr...omparison/
 Larger sensors have shallower DOF due to the longer focal used... 
And for DOF large format is still unrivaled...
(10-03-2019, 11:53 AM)toni-a Wrote: https://petapixel.com/2019/10/01/full-fr...omparison/
 Larger sensors have shallower DOF due to the longer focal used... 
And for DOF large format is still unrivaled...

No, larger sensors do NOT have shallower DOF due to longer focal used <sic>...
Larger sensors have the SAME DOF when you use the SAME aperture size. if you use a BIGGER aperture size on larger sensors, you get more shallow DOF with those larger sensors. If you use a SMALLER aperture size with those bigger sensors, you get less shallow DOF with those larger sensors. 

"And for DOF large format is still unrivaled.."
What does that mean??? DOF is not saying anything. 
You must mean "shallow DOF". And then it just depends on which lenses are actually available. My 6x9 camera has a 105mm f4.5 lens. That makes it equivalent to something like a 44mm f1.9 lens on FF ( FF crop factor something like 2.4). You can easily rival that 6x9 camera where shallow DOF is concerned with a 50mm f1.8 lens like a cheap Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM.

The guy of the video appears to confuse "aperture" with "f-stop". With the same aperture, you get the same DOF.
f4 is not "an aperture". It is: "focal length divided by 4 gives the aperture diameter". With 100mm focal length, f4 means 25mm aperture. With 40mm, f4 means 10mm aperture. 

So, to conclude: if you have a BIGGER aperture available for some format (using the same FOV), you get more shallow DOF for that format. If you have a bigger aperture available for 4x5 large format, you do get a more shallow DOF.
If one says "DOF is better than" and actually means "DoF is shallower than..." it's rather pointless to start or get involved in a discussion.
well quite interesting anyway, as larger sensors than4/5 are probably totaly uncommon,
the rendering is indeed nice,
but IMHO, when you look at the sharpnes/dof
i guess
similar images can be get with some of  the 50mm f0.95 you can find in FF

kr
couplos
DOF is a general term relating to the depth of sharpness ..... it takes no account of less is better or more is better!

BC is right when he says "shallow DOF" ........ that removes ambiguity and IMHO should be the term used.
(10-04-2019, 01:14 PM)couplos Wrote: well quite interesting anyway, as larger sensors than4/5 are probably totaly uncommon,
i guess

kr
couplos

50mm f0.95 does not quite get that amount of blur as the aperture is not as big. 180 / f2.8 = 64.3, 50 / 0.95 = 52.6.

I wonder if there are ANY 4 inch by 5 inch large format sensors?
(10-04-2019, 05:07 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 01:14 PM)couplos Wrote: well quite interesting anyway, as larger sensors than4/5 are probably totaly uncommon,
i guess

kr
couplos

50mm f0.95 does not quite get that amount of blur as the aperture is not as big. 180 / f2.8 = 6.43, 50 / 0.95 = 52.6.

I always knew, this obsession with equivalence does something to the brain. But maybe your calculator‘s batteries are down?  Wink 

180 / 2.8 = 64.3, not 6 mm. Otherwise you‘d be wrong with „as the aperture is not as big...“ and when were you wrong ever?  Tongue
[quote pid='48862' dateline='1570213653']
and when were you wrong ever?  Tongue
[/quote]

When he becomes silent Big Grin
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(10-04-2019, 06:27 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 05:07 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
i guess

kr
couplos

50mm f0.95 does not quite get that amount of blur as the aperture is not as big. 180 / f2.8 = 6.43, 50 / 0.95 = 52.6.

I always knew, this obsession with equivalence does something to the brain. But maybe your calculator‘s batteries are down?  Wink 

180 / 2.8 = 64.3, not 6 mm. Otherwise you‘d be wrong with „as the aperture is not as big...“ and when were you wrong ever?  Tongue

So i typo-ed the decimal point place. Corrected.
I could now point to smartphones that can already produce a nice bokeh with a tiny sensor ...

The few imperfections will be history in a couple of years - the number of phase-detection sensors all over the place will help to improve the algorithms.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji