Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuji XF 10-24 defocus/decentered?
Dear fellow shooters,

I'm a seasoned semi-pro photographer coming from Canon, I'm just starting in the Fuji X series with a brand new X-T30 and I'm loving it! For my first lens I bought a used (in apparent good condition) XF 10-24 f/4 OIS, since I also loved that focal range on my former APS-C canon system. At first glance everything was working great at close up shots with that lens, unfortunately after close inspection I started noticing some strange asymmetrical right side, defocused shots when shooting landscapes at focal lengths greater than 10mm. I tested for decentering with a lot of focal length and aperture combinations with the natestech test chart, with both handheld with OIS and on a tripod without OIS and can't in all honesty see decentering effects. A physical inspection of the lens also shows no signs of significant dust, no fungus at all, no rattling, no bent bayonet, no scratched elements, noting.

I do get slight less bluring when manual focusing (with peaking aid) the same scene, versus autofocusing (single point, non-continuous AF).

I'm at lost here. What can it be? Should I return the lens? Could the camera somehow be the culprit here? Should I lent a lens to test that hypothesis?

XF10-24_AF_18mm

XF10-24_MF_18mm

Best regards,

DC
This is not the image quality I'm used from Fuji files.

I couldn't see the shutter time, some leaves appeared to be blurred by wind? I also don't own this lens, so I cannot be sure. But to me it looks already not great before zooming in to 100%.
(10-16-2019, 02:55 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: This is not the image quality I'm used from Fuji files.

I couldn't see the shutter time, some leaves appeared to be blurred by wind? I also don't own this lens, so I cannot be sure. But to me it looks already not great before zooming in to 100%.

Hi JJ_SO, these are all hand held at 1/60, f/8, 200 ISO. There was little wind, but that shouldn't affect concrete structures, and OIS should filter out whatever small moment I was making. I not very impressed with the results either. At close up all seems fine, but for landscape and near infinity focus I'm getting these results...
Here are some full-size samples taken with a 10-24mm on a X-T20:

14mm f7.1: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4768...5ea2_o.jpg
15mm f7.1: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4877...be89_o.jpg
22mm f6.4: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4877...5e92_o.jpg

It's quite sharp, although I wonder if my lens is not decentered. At 10mm the left side is always a bit blurry.

There is clearly a major issue with your photos as they are very blurry and not representative of what you should be getting.
Could it be shutter shock? Try with the electronic shutter to see if it changes anything.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(10-16-2019, 02:47 PM)Naturimago Wrote: Dear fellow shooters,

I'm a seasoned semi-pro photographer coming from Canon, I'm just starting in the Fuji X series with a brand new X-T30 and I'm loving it! For my first lens I bought a used (in apparent good condition) XF 10-24 f/4 OIS, since I also loved that focal range on my former APS-C canon system. At first glance everything was working great at close up shots with that lens, unfortunately after close inspection I started noticing some strange asymmetrical right side, defocused shots when shooting landscapes at focal lengths greater than 10mm. I tested for decentering with a lot of focal length and aperture combinations with the natestech test chart, with both handheld with OIS and on a tripod without OIS and can't in all honesty see decentering effects. A physical inspection of the lens also shows no signs of significant dust, no fungus at all, no rattling, no bent bayonet, no scratched elements, noting.

I do get slight less bluring when manual focusing (with peaking aid) the same scene, versus autofocusing (single point, non-continuous AF).

I'm at lost here. What can it be? Should I return the lens? Could the camera somehow be the culprit here? Should I lent a lens to test that hypothesis?

XF10-24_AF_18mm

XF10-24_MF_18mm

Best regards,

DC

What is the taken aperture of these two images ..... Can we see some MF shots wide open??