Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yashura ANTHY35 (35mm f/1.8) announced for RF/Z/FE
http://www.yasuhara.co.jp/anthy/anthy35/index.html
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Yeah, no. The Sony FE 35mm f1.8 and the Canon RF 35mm f1.8 macro are some of the most popular, affordable, portable and well rated lens in their respective system. There is little point to make a manual focus lens with those exact characteristics to try and compete with them.

Also, that color vignetting on the wall shot! This reminds me of the Leica M9 with uncoded lenses.
(11-05-2019, 01:35 PM)Spinifex Wrote: Yeah, no. The Sony FE 35mm f1.8 and the Canon RF 35mm f1.8 macro are some of the most popular, affordable, portable and well rated lens in their respective system. There is little point to make a manual focus lens with those exact characteristics to try and compete with them.

Also, that color vignetting on the wall shot! This reminds me of the Leica M9 with uncoded lenses.

Or some Nex5/Nex7 lens combinations.
The bokeh seems quite nice - maybe a side effect of the traditional design.

For whatever reason the link in the first post gives a 403 Forbidden error.

Maybe they reconsidered making this lens in the light of what had been said in this thread. Smile
(11-06-2019, 07:15 AM)Rover Wrote: For whatever reason the link in the first post gives a 403 Forbidden error.

Maybe they reconsidered making this lens in the light of what had been said in this thread. Smile

link works well here,  maybe they just blocked you  Angel
FWIW, today I received an email from a fellow asking us whether we could do vintage lens test - I mean truly historic lenses here.
Because they are popular within the video community.

I think offerings such as this Yashura have to be seen in this context as well - recreating "old style" results (dreamy/soft contrast & smooth bokeh).
The latest and greatest lens designs are brutal in terms of performance - and maybe too harsh for certain movies styles already.

The 2nd Hand shelves are bursting - what good are new old lenses? I would understand a company making "old" lens designs and trying to keep the colours, character, bokeh and flare behaviour over all focal lengths. I just recently purchased a Nikkor 35/2.8 from 1969 in very good condition for close to no money (compared to the prices of today's monster lenses). But I still think "the right tool for the right job" - so if one wants to make a movie about the 50's or 60's, an old lens can work - but more so the lighting, costumes and contemporary accessories.

In other words: One can use Kubrick's lenses - and still being incapable to make a Kubrick movie. Using a Yasuhara shard would not change anything.
That Nikkor 35mm f2.8 is one of the least attractive old Nikkor primes (not sharp, even when stopped down). It has a deserved bad reputation (I have one and know how meh it is...)
The old manual focus Nikkor 35mm f2 versions are more desirable, as are both versions of the Nikkor 34mm f1.4 (with and without thorium).

And many old lenses have crappy bokeh. The bokeh smoothness of this new Chinese lens is not exactly "old style" for 35mm SLR lenses....
On this list I count 19 different Nikkor 35/2.8: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

To which you're referring?  Undecided 6 of them are AI types. I'm not saying "hell no, it's an outstanding lens". It just looks a bit fallen out of time in it's plastic bucket.

I agree, the 35/2.0 is really good. But it's 10 years younger and I just wanted to have one lens nearly as old as I am. Not on purpose, but as I read "1969" and "109.- francs" I got a "historic shards collector attack".