Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panasonic Lumix Pro 70-200mm f/2.8 OIS and 16-35mm f/4 announced
You first talked about f/4 primes. I don't think, I'm missing the point. I can always stop down a f/1.4 to f/4, but never "stop up" an f/4. I feel limited with f/4 in a way that the "more versatile" f/4 zooms usually remain at home and my trusty f/1.4 sits in the bag or on camera.

So, why would I need two lenses, a fast and a slow one? I already have two slow f/4 zooms which I'm not to keen to use.

On the Fuji APS-C side of things it's different - their f/1.4s are huge compared to the only one stop slower f/2. Which are weather sealed, looking better on an X-E or even X-Pro.

And when I imagine an 20/4.0 lens in front of a Z body - this is so ugly, mis-proportioned and nonsensical with this great mount ø that I think, you are missing the point of FF. Apparently Nikon thinks the same way with regard to their lens roadmap - sorry, you need to look for another company fulfilling your "if it only were smaller, I'd buy one. Probably. And a lot of others, too." sort of promise. Actually I never heard this wish of any photographer I was talking to. You like to have a choice - maybe one day you will. You just need to make sure to reach relevant sales numbers...

I think in terms of compactness and FF, only the Sigma fp sets a new standard as all other cameras are bigger - but not much bigger than some of their APS-C colleagues. Which you more than once found "more than enough IQ". And here I like to stop my contribution to this discussion as I don't think shrunk FF bodies are the key to higher camera sales. I want something which fits my hands. And I have it.

Now, sizewise the Leica SL2 is in the same league as the Panasonic S1/S1R as they share a lot. It wouldn't be a first time to get a red dot labeled Panasonic in a modified housing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Panasonic Lumix Pro 70-200mm f/2.8 OIS and 16-35mm f/4 announced - by JJ_SO - 11-07-2019, 10:57 PM