Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What camera and lens should i chose ?
Hello,

I'm looking for a new camera/lens and i'd really appreciate your help to chose the perfect couple fitting my needs! Thanks in advance for your kind help.

What I have had:
- [dead] OMD EM10

What I do:
- I got the basis but i'm still a beginner in photography
- Mostly landscape (hiking)
- Street/portraits (travels)
- Sometimes I shot horse jumping (my gf riding)

What I want:
- 4/3 camera for the size/weight/compact
- Weather sealed because i will use it mostly outdoors and hiking (and my OMD10 most certainly died because of rain/cold)
- Good stabilization since i don't want to transport and use a tripod

I've waited a loonnng time for the OMD EM5 III. What do you thinks, is it a good choice for me?

Lens: chose one to rule them all
What I have :
- a 14‑42mm F3.5‑5.6 EZ PANCAKE
- a 40‑150mm F4‑5.6 R

What I need/want:
- It must be weather sealed (or the sealed body wouldn't make sense instead)
- Start low (12mm at least) for landscape
- I'm not a huge fan of less switch (for now) so i need one good main less to start

I really like the olympus 12-100mm f/4 is pro, but it's sooooo massive (and heavy: >500g!)
Thus i'm considering the Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ASPH Power OIS

That's it. sorry for the looonng post and thanks for the reading and help.

Sylvain
Well, the E-M5 III is described as a mini E-M1 II so it should be quite great really.

I still have both the Leica 12-60mm as well as the Oly 12-100mm PRO in my own stock.
I'd lean towards the 12-100mm on an Oly camera really. Dual IS alone is an argument. And the lens is surprisingly good.

FWIW, another option may be a Fuji X-T30 with the new 16-80mm f/4. The X-T30 is actually substantially smaller than the E-M5 III.
The 12-100mm is probably a little sharper than the Fuji lens though.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Thank you very much for your feedback Klaus. I will wait the E-M5 III then Smile I hope we will see good offers for black friday.

For the lens, the Dual IS is really that good?
The 12-100 is reaaalllyyy big and heavy even if it fits my needs.
What about the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO for landscape/Street/portrait?

Thanks for the Fuji X-T30. Sadly, it's not weather sealed.
Yes, Dual IS is that good. :-) The best in the industry. I was amazed by the low shutter speeds that you can use.

The 12-40mm is, of course, a very good lens but it is a little too short in my book.

(11-21-2019, 08:20 PM)Klaus Wrote: Yes, Dual IS is that good. :-) The best in the industry. I was amazed by the low shutter speeds that you can use.

The 12-40mm is, of course, a very good lens but it is a little too short in my book.

What's your opinion on the Pana/Leica 12-60 vs the Oly 12-40 optically?

Although I still a couple of MFT bodies (Pany GM5 et Oly E-M10 II), I mainly shoot Fuji these days. However I'm not happy with any of their standard zooms:
  • 18-55 f2.8-4: only starts at 18 and horrible bokeh
  • 16-50 f3.5-5.6: too short range and too slow
  • 15-45: interesting 15mm, but I hate power zooms and too short
  • 16-55 f2.8: huge
I'm very interested in the Fuji 16-80 f4 but early reports seem to indicate it's not that hot optically, especially at 16mm...

Hence, the Pany/Leica 12-60 f2.8-4 seems like a good compromise between IQ, size and "fastness". Of course the Oly 12-100 f4 would be great, but it's HUGE.

What do you then think of the Pany/Leica 12-60?
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Normally -I- am the one here obsessed with small size and low weight! ;-) Seriously, the 12-100mm is less than 600g and under 12cm in length. HUGE is something else.

The Leica 12-60mm is a fairly typical MFT lens - thus it is balanced in its quality with no substantial weakness. I wouldn't describe it as being great though.

That being said - it's the question whether there are any better "24-120mm" lenses out there. I can't think of any. The Canon RF 24-105mm is great though.

It appears you found someone more obsessed about size than you ;-)
As we all know, size is relative.
I meant to say huge in the scope of MFT standard lenses.

I think I'll wait to see proper reviews of the Fuji 16-80.
Do you plan on reviewing it at some point?
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(11-22-2019, 10:13 AM)Klaus Wrote: Normally -I- am the one here obsessed with small size and low weight! ;-) Seriously, the 12-100mm is less than 600g and under 12cm in length. HUGE is something else.

Indeed, there's a lot of really huge lens out there. Speaking for myself, I'm using my camera mostly while hicking so the size and weight can make a big difference.

I will try to find one in Paris to try it once I receive the EM5 III.
Any idea when it will be available BTW ?

Thanks
Size indeed is relative. The huge 12-100mm f4 Olympus is not huge compared to the only lens kinda like it, the Canon RF 24-240mm f4-6.3.
https://camerasize.com/compact/#799.842,835.613,ha,t

Of course that Canon lens is faster (equivalence wise), but lacks weather sealing.

For me, close up narrow FOV would be important, and the Olympus does quite well compared to the Canon RF lens, but what I dislike a bit from the Olympus' specs is the variable MFD across the focus range. But that is less of an issue when you mostly use the lens at 100mm for close ups, like I mostly do.

Personally I'd much prefer these high performing 12-100mm/24-240mm lenses as travel companion than smaller range standard zooms. But for "art" purposes I prefer a bag full of "specialty" lenses.
(11-22-2019, 01:03 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: I think I'll wait to see proper reviews of the Fuji 16-80.
Do you plan on reviewing it at some point?

At some point, yes Wink

Seriously: it's ordered with the X-T30, waiting for the delivery.
Editor
opticallimits.com