Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL Lens Test Report - Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH Power OIS
Nice but not an easy lens to handle ...

https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/1074-leica100400f463
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
"You may argue thatl the Leica..." (conclusion), but wait after Rover has done his work  Shy

And what is not so easy to handle? The same kind of grip for all rings?
Thanks for the review, Klaus. Nice to see your conclusions match my experience pretty good.

It took some time to figure out myself that with this lens at long focal lenghts it depends a lot on the user. Poor technique and you quickly end up with shaken image. Here does help dual IS. Even with small GX80, which has rather standard dual IS, handholdability of the lens improves a lot.
(12-14-2019, 07:36 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: "You may argue thatl the Leica..." (conclusion), but wait after Rover has done his work  Shy

Keeping your image steady at "800mm". The angular shake can be so heavy that the IS can't compensate this anymore and the IS will "reposition" your image - which is, of course, fairly disturbing.
At least I have to have a low pulse in order to be able to keep the image steady (with the help of the optical IS and on the E-M5 II).
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(12-14-2019, 09:30 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 07:36 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: "You may argue thatl the Leica..." (conclusion), but wait after Rover has done his work  Shy

Keeping your image steady at "800mm". The angular shake can be so heavy that the IS can't compensate this anymore and the IS will "reposition" your image - which is, of course, fairly disturbing.
At least I have to have a low pulse in order to be able to keep the image steady (with the help of the optical IS and on the E-M5 II).

I see. And the whole combo is a tad heavier and larger than, say, a Nikon 1 V2 with 70-300 (roughly the same equiv., weighing 975 grams with body attached) which I can hold rather well. But it also is a lens for bright days and the zoo.

Using a tripod is helpful but opposite of weight saving.
Yup, lens based IS only at 400mm is a real challenge to handhold. Dual IS makes a world of difference though. With that I got keepers all the way down to shutter speed of 1/13s.
Looks like a mighty fine lens.

A guy I knew had this unit and swore by it. Not sure about now, though; haven't seen him in a while.
While the bokeh isn't that great; i noticed there is no colour shift (loca). Is this because you corrected in processing or is the lens apo ? Would be interesting to test the new oly lens against this one when it is released.
It's because the lens is not really fast (in terms of aperture). LoCA is usually an issue on fast glass at large apertures only.
Editor
opticallimits.com