Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EOS M3 ... dynamic range
As mentioned, we have just come back from vacation. My spouse used the EOS M3 and I have to say that I'm quite shocked by the (RAW-)results. The light conditions were, admittedly, rather difficult BUT the camera completely failed in terms of dynamic range. Regardless of what lab tests say about it but I had the impression that it's a magnitude worse than micro-four-thirds. It may be that the M3 isn't state of the art anymore but it's really poor for a system camera. Rescuing the images was quite a task in photoshop. At default settings, the images were unusable.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Have 750D with the same sensor I am not a reviewer and I don't do tests, however I had serious issues with noise in the shadow areas, lifting shadows was always a nightmare with plenty of noise and color artifacts, and yes virtually no details in the shadows, my A6000 did much better here
Without knowing the settings, quite useless info? I can make good images (noise wise) with my 6D (and even EOS M) and awful noisy images. You have to use the right settings of course.
It appears that she underexposed a lot, as you mention "lifting shadows". So, yeah. When taking photos, do check the result when taking them, and adjust settings when things are not right.

If I remember correctly, the M3 uses a similar sensor as the EOS 80D, but it performed a bit worse.
The issues were both dark shadows and blown-out highlights - or simply put - terrible DR.

I just had a look at dxomark - and they also confirm dismal DR.

(12-31-2019, 10:02 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Without knowing the settings, quite useless info? I can make good images (noise wise) with my 6D (and even EOS M) and awful noisy images. You have to use the right settings of course.
It appears that she underexposed a lot, as you mention "lifting shadows". So, yeah. When taking photos, do check the result when taking them, and adjust settings when things are not right.

If I remember correctly, the M3 uses a similar sensor as the EOS 80D, but it performed a bit worse.
M3 uses same sensor as 750/760D not 80D, (it doesn't have dual pixel autofocus) .
of course when you know your camera you can take better advantage of it despite limitations, it's never the cameras fault for bad pictures, but it's better nonetheless to have a good performing camera straight from the beginning
M3 sensor is better than almost any sensor produced 15 years ago, it outperforms Canon 1Ds that used to be considered state of the art camera from sensor side and at the time, when 1Ds was in production nobody complained about its dynamic range and plenty of awesome photos were taken with it.
M3 isn't bad at all, with 11 f stops dynamic range, if you have non usable pictures it's not the camera to blame, of course 14+ f stops would be better however I am sure even such a sensor will only partially solve the problem
Sorry, Toni, but I do blame the camera because it delivered sub-standard results (with the 22mm f/2 which is actually a good lens).