• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report - Viltrox PFU RBMH 85mm f/1.8 STM
Very affordable and pretty good

https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1078-viltrox85f18

Note: Tested at 26mp on the X-T30
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Thanks for the review, Klaus!

Very interesting lens indeed, especially given the price.

Do you also plan on reviewing the other 3 Virtrox in the series? 23 f1.4, 33 f1.4 and 56 f1.4?

Cheers.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(01-10-2020, 12:26 PM)Klaus Wrote: Note: Tested at 26mp on the X-T30

Thanks for the review, seems like a great budget portrait lens.

-Going forward, how will resolution scores generated on the X-T30 compare with scores from the older 16MP body?

-Also, I assume that the resolution scores for this lens are consistent between center and edge because this lens was designed for full frame? As if we didn't already doubt it, this appears to disagree with Tony Northrup's recent video on using FF lenses on crop bodies.
Well, on the 26mp sensor the center will be emphasized and, for some lenses - mostly ultra-wides, the border performance will fall apart.

And yes, if I can get my hand on the new Viltrox lenses I will test them.

Certainly an unusual item in the lab. Thanks for the interesting read, Klaus.

P.S. What does PFU RBMH stand for anyway. WTF LOL.
I'm rediscovering this lens. Shot with it along another lens that is 4x the price of the Viltrox, and both have similar rendering and, surprise-surprise, sharpness wide open.

Still haven't found a place to share full res photos.

On the negative side, I find the AF jittery at times (but not sure if Fujifilm is not to blame here) and bokeh in transition zones, e.g. when shooting branches, etc. up close.
The AF on Sony E-mount also hunts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsD7NJMg4r0
(01-10-2020, 11:47 PM)Klaus Wrote: Well, on the 26mp sensor the center will be emphasized and, for some lenses - mostly ultra-wides, the border performance will fall apart.

"Starting with this review, we have moved to a 26 megapixels camera for the tests. The charts scale was calibrated using the Fujinon XF 90mm f/2 R LM WR."

Klaus, could you elaborate on what exactly this statement means, particularly in regards to the XF 90mm? I don't expect you to redo all the previous Fuji x lenses with the 26MP sensor, but is there any way to "interpolate" older 16MP resolution scores to the new 26MP sensor? If not, it will be difficult to compare sharpness of any new lens reviews to old ones.
There is no real way to interpolate reliably. So, take comparisons with some grains of salt and you'll be fine..
(02-01-2020, 04:36 PM)TOMMMMMM Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 11:47 PM)Klaus Wrote: Well, on the 26mp sensor the center will be emphasized and, for some lenses - mostly ultra-wides, the border performance will fall apart.

"Starting with this review, we have moved to a 26 megapixels camera for the tests. The charts scale was calibrated using the Fujinon XF 90mm f/2 R LM WR."

Klaus, could you elaborate on what exactly this statement means, particularly in regards to the XF 90mm? I don't expect you to redo all the previous Fuji x lenses with the 26MP sensor, but is there any way to "interpolate" older 16MP resolution scores to the new 26MP sensor? If not, it will be difficult to compare sharpness of any new lens reviews to old ones.

You can interpolate the center to some degree but that won't work for the borders.

Markus suggested that he could do rests for all Fuji lenses ... because he has them all in stock. ;-)
However, I urged him to do Nikon Z first ...