Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Two new lenses for Pentax !!
Pentax has released the Pentax*HD 11-18mm F2.8 wide angle lens for APSc ........... and is soon to release the cloned Tamron 70-210mm F4 under the Pentax banner....... the DFA 70-210mm F4 SDM WR
 The 11-18MM F2.8 is announced at 1,399 euros

The 70-210mm which has the VC mechanism removed is announced at 1,199 euros.
What is new about the 11-18mm f2.8? Wasn't it released last year?

Funny, that Tamron. Tokina developed a 70-200mm f4 for Nikon F-mount (not for Canon, as Canon had two 70-200mm f4 lenses for years already), and just before it got released... Nikon came with the AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR, resulting in no sales at all for that Tokina. You'd expect Pentax to take advantage of that situation and just bring that Tokina lens for Pentax. But no.

Lovely lens though, that Tamron. Which goes for €399 (new, Canon EF-mount) currently in my country, and $599 at B&H (LOL @ Pentax price).
(01-22-2020, 07:42 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: What is new about the 11-18mm f2.8? Wasn't it released last year?

Funny, that Tamron. Tokina developed a 70-200mm f4 for Nikon F-mount (not for Canon, as Canon had two 70-200mm f4 lenses for years already), and just before it got released... Nikon came with the AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR, resulting in no sales at all for that Tokina.  You'd expect Pentax to take advantage of that situation and just bring that Tokina lens for Pentax. But no.

Lovely lens though, that Tamron. Which goes for €399 (new, Canon EF-mount) currently in my country, and $599 at B&H (LOL @ Pentax price).
 Yes, but the 11-18mm lens passed under most peoples radar (certainly here )..... according to tests it's a little weak in the corners ....... something a ML designed lens probably wouldn't haven't suffered from ....... but overall a sound optic if not too expensive !!
   ........ the Tamron clone is a sad case of re-badging of the most aggressive kind ..... by it's seriously exaggerated price !!

Gone are the days of Pentax offering great value for money !!
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/p...fa-70-210/

I'm wondering where this lens is "compact".

On the plus side - it has a focus limiter (the Tamron does not).
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(01-22-2020, 06:36 AM)davidmanze Wrote:  The 11-18MM F2.8 is announced at 1,399 euros
Looks silly pricing, Tokina 11-20f2.8 is very well regarded, an it costs less than half the price, ok it's not available in Pentax mount, but is it this way, Pentax intends to attracts new customers ?
"lightweighted" not lightweigt, but has been lightweighted ...
"weather-resistant" it resists weather..
They had a redundant button after killing VC, so they did the focus limiter nonsense.

F4 is compact in relation to f2.8 .
The fact they can't even get the first sentence right is telling "A compact, lightweighted and weather-resistant telephoto zoom lens for use with 35mm-format full-frame digital SLR providing great poratability.". So many mistakes in one single sentence is quite an achievement in itself!
Would a native English writer be that expensive?
I'm always amazed at how Pentax still manages to survive in this market.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
"A compact, lightweight, high-performance telephoto zoom lens for use with 35mm full-frame digital SLR cameras, providing great portability in a variety of applications, from nature and scenic photography to active fieldwork"
http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info...28373.html
At least they got that right.

(01-22-2020, 09:01 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    ........ the Tamron clone is a sad case of re-badging of the most aggressive kind .....
I'm curious, why are you still obsessing over Pentax? You keep writing negative posts filled with dots; why?

The D FA 70-210 is not a clone in the first place. It is a customization of the Tamron 70-210; it likely even has mechanical updates (the focus limiter) besides the usual (mount, coatings, glass, outer shell).
I'd rather have Pentax original designs, of course, but this mainly on primes - not on "filler" lenses like this. The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is not just great; it's amazing.
Let's be glad that they are still around. I'm already curious regarding their upcoming APS-C flagship.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(01-23-2020, 11:31 AM)Kunzite Wrote: "A compact, lightweight, high-performance telephoto zoom lens for use with 35mm full-frame digital SLR cameras, providing great portability in a variety of applications, from nature and scenic photography to active fieldwork"
http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info...28373.html
At least they got that right.

(01-22-2020, 09:01 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    ........ the Tamron clone is a sad case of re-badging of the most aggressive kind .....
I'm curious, why are you still obsessing over Pentax? You keep writing negative posts filled with dots; why?

The D FA 70-210 is not a clone in the first place. It is a customization of the Tamron 70-210; it likely even has mechanical updates (the focus limiter) besides the usual (mount, coatings, glass, outer shell).
I'd rather have Pentax original designs, of course, but this mainly on primes - not on "filler" lenses like this. The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is not just great; it's amazing.
The glass is the same. The coatings are the same. The outer shell is the same, just different rings and script.

It is not a Tamron clone, it is a rebadged Tamron.
Luckily' I'd say, because that Tamron is a great lens and Pentax' f2.8 design does not render bachground bokeh nearly as smooth.