Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clunky X mount normal ?
...I almost posted this in the Preview: Fujinon XF 16-89 thread because Innsbrucker posted that he has a 55-200 lens he is reasonably happy with...

...I took my new X-T30 on it's first outing today...

...with the 55-200 lens I was discouraged by a noticeable shift and clunk each time I used the zoom ring...

...I did not notice this with the 18-55 lens...

...they both had the same amount of play in the mount but the 18-55 didn't move when I used the zoom ring...

...besides being annoying I am concerned that the constant movement will wear and further loosen the fitting... 

...I can see this would not be an issue with prime lenses...but I don't have any...

...the Q button was a minor annoyance, that I am already adapting to as is, but the clunky X mount has me considering the return of this system...

...the slight clunking does quite the job of undermining the vaunted tactile qualities of this camera, IMHO...
...so nobody cares aboot me camera...LoL...

...the tech guy @ Fuji said don't worry, be happy, and I am cool with that...

...I think I would keep this body just to put that Laowa macro lens on it anyway...

...I was advised that the X-T4 would still clunk...I'll get used to it...
Just to get a better idea of your issue: the lens mount does not give a tight fit or solid lock, so the lens moves a little in the mount when you zoom? If so, by how much?

This is fairly common behavior for F-mount lenses, but I haven't really noticed it with X-mount. I will check tomorrow.

Regarding the Q-button: I set it to "AF-ON". That solved most of my issues with the button (except for the fact that it is still there).
Editor
opticallimits.com

...thank you for your reply...

...the lens shifts aboot 1mm back and forth (?) on the mount...it is not like it is loose or wiggles...

...the 18-55 is the same tightness and shifts the same if you grasp the body but not the zoom ring...

...the tech guy @ Fuji said this is normal and that his 55-200 is the same on his X body...

...I don't want the zoom ring to be so loose as to allow the lens to zoom out from gravity...I had a Cannon and a Tamron lens that did that...very annoying...I will live with the (slight) clunk...

...he went on to say that a tighter fitting lens mount could and has resulted in lenses getting stuck when the camera is exposed to high temperatures, making it difficult or impossible to remove the lens...

...I am liking this camera more each day but the display is annoying to some one used to optical viewfinders...in good light it is very hard to see much...

...that said I can already see where a full articulation display would be useful...

...now that this clunking (non)issue is sorted I can go back to worrying aboot the centering of my lenses...

...the auto focus on the 18-55 seems to favor the lower left of the frame...
In terms of dots, you seem to be in competition with another forum fellow ... ;-)

The 55-200mm is not their most brilliant mechanical design. A 70-300mm is coming according to the rumor mill. The 55-200mm is ancient by now.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji