Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And the 12-45mm f/4 PRO
(02-06-2020, 09:41 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    Isn't it more about being caught out in the rain, rather than setting off to shoot in it?

PS. How many pros shoot Pentax?

When you get caught in the rain, do you not put your gear in your bag?  It appears that most anecdotes are about perception rather than real requirements, which was my point. I have been caught in the rain, I have been shooting on the beach (sand), my lenses have seen frost and snow. Any lenses got damaged from any of that? No...

And, I bet one of the three people who shoot with Pentax is an eccentric pro.
(02-06-2020, 02:40 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 09:41 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    Isn't it more about being caught out in the rain, rather than setting off to shoot in it?

PS. How many pros shoot Pentax?

When you get caught in the rain, do you not put your gear in your bag?  It appears that most anecdotes are about perception rather than real requirements, which was my point. I have been caught in the rain, I have been shooting on the beach (sand), my lenses have seen frost and snow. Any lenses got damaged from any of that? No...

And, I bet one of the three people who shoot with Pentax is an eccentric pro.

It doesn't rain much here but man is it dusty!!

Of the lenses I have, two are weather sealed, the Tammy G2, and the AF-S600mm F4E ........ the G2 has very little dust compared to the G1 version I did have ........ here it's dried fine mud  ...... as you zoom the G2 you see the seals pushing it out of the way ..... without them all that would be inside the lens, like it was on the G1.
  The F4E has no zooming suction and is fully sealed and hopefully will stand the test of time.

For all other lenses I'd just take the risk !!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/
Somehow I wandered back into this thread and now I know when you absolutely need to shoot in the rain (and thus sealing is a good idea)... when rain is the subject. Smile I know I need photos like that from time to time so that we at the editorial office have something to illustrate news concerning weather and whatnot. Smile

Surely I'd be happy to be shooting rain from a safe office window - and lord knows I have - but unfortunately it doesn't always work this way. Sad
Yes, of course for professional journalistic photography it makes sense.
(09-30-2020, 05:20 AM)Rover Wrote: Somehow I wandered back into this thread and now I know when you absolutely need to shoot in the rain (and thus sealing is a good idea)... when rain is the subject. Smile I know I need photos like that from time to time so that we at the editorial office have something to illustrate news concerning weather and whatnot. Smile

Surely I'd be happy to be shooting rain from a safe office window - and lord knows I have - but unfortunately it doesn't always work this way. Sad

A unique camera was Nikon 1 AW1 waterproof and shockproof, freeze proof
Whenever Nikon have innovative ideas, they always find a way to blow things up.....
dunno why MFT don't make waterproof cameras ?
Look at the sales of Olympus TG6....
I think a waterproof camera is a must have, all manufacturers have a tiny cheap one, and I don't see any reason why not to get one.
This summer my Fuji XP90 was practically my most used camera, it's the only one I can take to the pool and beach with me
I own the Olympus Tough TG-5 which I bought solely for snorkeling and diving.
It's a great camera in terms of toughness and "waterproofness", but its image quality is quite crappy given the tiny sensor.
I just don't understand why Olympus didn't release a Tough with a MFT sensor! It's beyond me. It would make for a very unique camera and I'm sure it would sell very well.
Oh well, I guess that if Olympus had been a bit smarter with their decisions they would not have gone under...
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(09-30-2020, 07:58 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: I own the Olympus Tough TG-5 which I bought solely for snorkeling and diving.
It's a great camera in terms of toughness and "waterproofness", but its image quality is quite crappy given the tiny sensor.
I just don't understand why Olympus didn't release a Tough with a MFT sensor! It's beyond me. It would make for a very unique camera and I'm sure it would sell very well.
Oh well, I guess that if Olympus had been a bit smarter with their decisions they would not have gone under...

Exactly that's the type of camera I was talking about, a camera similar to Panasonic LX100 but waterproof
(09-30-2020, 10:03 AM)toni-a Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 07:58 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: I own the Olympus Tough TG-5 which I bought solely for snorkeling and diving.

Exactly that's the type of camera I was talking about, a camera similar to Panasonic LX100 but waterproof

Indeed. Had there been a waterproof version of the LX100, I'd have bought it in a heart beat!
--Florent

Flickr gallery