Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fujifilm X-T200 - no comments so far?
Did it happen to you like to me? Thinking "oh, another Fuji cheapo, with plastic lens and no real value"?

I changed my mind. First, the tilt/swivel display is just what I always missed in Fuji line-up. Second, a massive LCD (16:9) with enough space for icons and maybe a different approach to UI. Ok, sensor pattern is ordinary Bayer, not X-Trans, but who really cares?

It looks like this cheap X-T200 can do some things my old X-T2 can't. At half the price. What do you think? Have you seen CSTV's review?
Fuji has too many X-models: XT-n, X-Pro-n X-En, X-Hn, X-Tnn and X-Tnnn.
6 lines of cameras, with not always obvious differentiators. It's confusing at best.
They should consolidate their lines and keep only these 3 IMO:

- X-Tn: flagship line in a DSLR form factor
- X-Pro-n: rangefinder form-factor
- X-Tnn: entry point/consumer line

The X-Hn line makes no sense. IBIS should be part of all new models from now on.
The X-Tnnn line makes little sense either as it's too similar to the X-Tnn line.
The X-En line is very similar to the X-Tnn line but in a rangefinder form factor. However, I think it doesn't provide enough of a differentiator to be viable in term of production cost.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Don't forget the X-An and X-Fnnn and the new rumoured X100V... You're right, it's rather confusing. And the GFX line is not even in this list.

The X-H line is the only APS-C line with top display and a bit more stremalined user-concept. It hosts IBIS because the body is bigger. Do you know smallish bodies like X-Tn or X-Tnn to host IBIS? I'm just asking because I lost the overview in APS-C-land.

And speaking of production costs: The changes in body design are not huge from X-E2 to X-E2n to X-E3.

That was the reason to post this X-T200: It's a first for Fuji to finally come up with a fully articulated LCD.
Right, I forgot the X-Ann line. Another useless line IMO.
The X-Fnn line, I could almost understand. It's in a different category since it doesn't offer interchangeable lenses.

I believe IBIS is doable in the smaller bodies. Look at what Sony is able to do with its Annnn APS-C line: recent bodies feature IBIS and the bodies are smaller than the X-Tnn line. It shows it's doable.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
You call models "lines". Confusing. In my opinion, Canon (as example, to explain what I mean) has APS-C DSLR line (250D, 800D, 90D, 7DmkII), a FF DSLR line (6D mkII, 5D MKIV, 5D DS/R), maybe a pro FF DSLR line (now consisting of one model, 1D-X mkIII), an APS-C mirrorless line and a FF mirrorless line. In those lines there are different models, and over time these models get refreshed. The models are not a "line", even though you can make a time line to follow how updating models goes.

I do agree that the Fuji X line up is totally confusing regardless of what you call lines and what you call models. First, X seemed to stand for X-trans, which stood for sensors with a different CFA pattern than the Bayer pattern, of which Fuji claimed it produced superior results. You had X cameras with fixed lenses, and X cameras with the X-mount, with its own line of lenses (mirrorless APS-C). But then then they got confused. They introduced an X-A model with Bayer CFA. And they introduced the GFX line, sporting that same X while it does not have an X-mount, nor the X-trans CFA.

I do agree that they have strangely large amount of APS-C X-mount camera models currently... I count 7: X-A7, X-E3, X-T200, X-T30, X-T3, X-Pro3, X-h1. That is kinda crazy, and looking at their market share, not really a winning strategy.
What I call "line" is only confusing to you.

Take the X-Tn line: X-T1, X-T2, X-T3. It's a series of models in the same line.

The X-Pro-n line: X-Pro1, X-Pro2, X-Pro3.

The X-Tnn line: X-T10, X-T20, X-T30.

Etc.

Nothing confusing about this.
If you prefer, we could call a "line" a "series", but the meaning would remain the same.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(02-04-2020, 03:45 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: What I call "line" is only confusing to you.

Take the X-Tn line: X-T1, X-T2, X-T3. It's a series of models in the same line.

The X-Pro-n line: X-Pro1, X-Pro2, X-Pro3.

The X-Tnn line: X-T10, X-T20, X-T30.

Etc.

Nothing confusing about this.
If you prefer, we could call a "line" a "series", but the meaning would remain the same.

I agree, wether you call it line or series - it's a group of slightly different models, whereas the lines/series have various charcteristics to make a difference to other lines.

And in terms of "winning strategy" or not, I think Fuji users do care a lot about these kind of massive pallet of lines. And in a way they are different (not only by name) and other manufacturers don't offer this kind of choice - for the better or the worse, I can't judge.

Nikon's FF and APS-C models have much more in common than Fuji's rangefinder-, EVF with and without hump- and purely LCD-types.
Having choices is an issue? :-)

But yes, the X-T200 seems to be very nice for the price. I reckon the plastic feel is the biggest issue?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(02-04-2020, 04:11 PM)Klaus Wrote: Having choices is an issue? :-)

But yes, the X-T200 seems to be very nice for the price. I reckon the plastic feel is the biggest issue?

Wasting resources (of R+D) for too many of them is an issue, yes. Not for me, I don't care if Fuji develops themselves into agony Big Grin
(02-04-2020, 09:13 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 04:11 PM)Klaus Wrote: Having choices is an issue? :-)

Wasting resources (of R+D) for too many of them is an issue, yes. Not for me, I don't care if Fuji develops themselves into agony Big Grin

Think about it. X-T200 sells close to X-T30. Bayer sensor is cheaper to produce than XTrans CFA one. Missing Eterna means that the processor is probably the one in X-T2/X-T20, which does not have to work as heavily not needing to demosaic XTrans files.

On the other hand, as with X-T100, you get a price that is close to X-T30 (X-T20 in the case of X-T100). So - a body that is cheaper to produce, priced very close to a upper tier model. That means one thing - margins! And because it is cheaper, it is expected to sell better on some markets (read Asia).

The worst thing is that this is a nice camera with better color detail. :Smile too bad they don't produce a more capable body with Bayer sensor.