Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voigtlander Nokton 60mm f/0.95 announced
The 5th Nokton for MFT

http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtland...index.html
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Why... But why Voigtlander doesn't release AF lenses??!!

That would be awesome.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I think their (or rather Cosina's, of course) CEO had said that he has no interest in making AF lenses. That could have been a way of masking their inability, of course, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for sure.
AF is "lossy" as far as optical performance goes. ;-)
The problem is that the focus group tends to be smaller and more light-weight in order to allow fast AF operations.
And the centering is, on the average, worse because you can't design the focus group as tight as on manual focus lenses.

Just look at the focus mechanism of the 110mm. Doing this kind of extension with this amount of glass is surely challenging.
https://fdirect.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/6.png

That all being said - I suspect that the Nokton has, once again, no electronic coupling - and that's something that not necessary for a manufacturer who is that long in this business.

Looking at the sample pictures the bokeh doesn't seem to be superb.

(02-19-2020, 08:26 PM)Klaus Wrote: That all being said - I suspect that the Nokton has, once again, no electronic coupling - and that's something that not necessary for a manufacturer who is that long in this business.
Usually Voigtlanders do have electric coupling, the ones I used, 90mmf3.5 and 20mmf3.5 have electric coupling for aperture, not sure if they transmit other data like focus distance for instance
There was no coupling on the 25mm f/0.95 mk I but maybe this has changed?

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/NTc4WDU...our-_1.jpg

No contacts there at least (10.5mm f/0.95).

I think Toni is referring to the SL II lenses. They all had electronic coupling.

(02-19-2020, 01:28 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Why... But why Voigtlander doesn't release AF lenses??!!

Don't give them ideas... Voigtländer traditionally produced manual large and medium format and especially rangefinder lenses only. After they went bankrupt, the Voigtländer brand was eventually licensed to Cosina, where they came up with the poor idea to sell some of their existing low-cost AF lenses under the newly acquired brand name.

I remember the Ultragon 19-35, a rebranded Cosina lens, not sure if there were other attempts. I tried one, once, many years ago, it felt as cheap as it was and I'm sure it would struggle to get more than 1 or 1.5 stars on our rating scale.

The reputation of the Voigtländer brand was at the very bottom at that time already, after Ringfoto sold some terribly cheap cameras with that name for a while, so those AF lenses didn't do much more damage.
Editor
opticallimits.com

There were several el cheopo AF lenses actually

Voigtlander Ultron AF 100-400mm f/4.5-6.7
Voigtlander Ultron AF 28-105 mm f/2.8-3.8
Voigtlander Skopar AF 28-80 mm f/3.5-5.6
Voigtlander Apo Zoomar AF 28-210 mm f/4.2-6.5
Voigtlander Telomar AF 100-300 mm f/5.6-6.7

But yes, these were all ultra crap.

All probably rebranded... somethings. But it's curious that the original maker did have the way of adding AF, even 25 years ago, while so many producers today are still way off from this.