Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EOS RP rolling shutter
I gave EOSRP for a friend who wanted to try it, I don't need the electronic shutter and don't use, for Ghas nonetheless it would be a reason for hom to switch from his 6D2 to mirrorless.
And he was very disappointed with rolling shutter saying its silent mode is practically non usable, rolling shutter at 1/80s on a person in normal situation isn't acceptable check yourselves

.jpg   ghas.JPG (Size: 325.89 KB / Downloads: 32)
Canon is hardly the movie king ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Totally confused again, Toni... What "rolling shutter" issue are you seeing here?
It's not in a video but a photo taken in silent mode=electronic shutter , look at the face, there are severe artefacts,I found no explanation except some issue with electronic shutter
I do not see any rolling shutter issue. And I am unclear on what the severe artefacts are you are (not) pointing to. I only see a severe out of focus face for a main subject.
I see some "lines" that go kinda slanted not quite horizontal, and slow shutter artificial light cycle/flicker issues should produce vertical bands in vertical shots.

The "issue" with the RP is the missing mechanical 1st curtain shutter. There is no difference in rolling shutter between the RP and the 6D mk II in silent shutter mode, both are the slow same. So, if the RP in silent shutter mode does not suit him, neither should the 6D mk II or any other camera. Solution: don't use silent shutter until there is a camera which has a global shutter sensor.
(03-01-2020, 07:56 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: I do not see any rolling shutter issue. And I am unclear on what the severe artefacts are you are (not) pointing to. I only see a severe out of focus face for a main subject.
I see some "lines" that go kinda slanted not quite horizontal, and slow shutter artificial light cycle/flicker issues should produce vertical bands in vertical shots.

The "issue" with the RP is the missing mechanical 1st curtain shutter. There is no difference in rolling shutter between the RP and the 6D mk II in silent shutter mode, both are the slow same. So, if the RP in silent shutter mode does not suit him, neither should the 6D mk II or any other camera. Solution: don't use silent shutter until there is a camera which has a global shutter sensor.

A decent image that didn't fail on many levels would have helped ..... rolling shutter is the least of the problem!
I don't think this is a rolling shutter issue. At first sight, this looks like motion blur or double flash on a long exposure, but flash was not used accoring to EXIF and at 1/80 s there shouldn't be that much motion blur...

Looking more closely, it seems the double image is limited to a small band in the image. I assume this is either a processing error by the camera's JPG engine or maybe a faulty SD card that left the image slightly corrupted.
Do you happen to have a RAW image, too?

Hmm, after a google search, there might actually be an eletronic shutter related issue. First of all, the slow readout of the sensor obviously does lead to image distortions. Some links to discussions adressing the issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/canon/comments/...ser_issue/

https://www.reddit.com/r/canon/comments/...ts_images/

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4395077

A youtube video showing the heavy distortion (link from the above dpr thread):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0fyxOuHnVU

There are also many threads pointing out severe banding issues with the electronic shutter when flickering lights, especially LED lights, are the main light source.

However, none of these explain the double exposure character we can see in Tony's sample image. I suspect a different reason: the slow readout combined with active IS. In fact, the EXIF data shows that IS was on and in panning mode (which, I think, on the EF 35/2 IS can not be set on the lens, so it was automatically selected by the camera and/or lens). I assume that during the readout of the affected part of the image the IS unit was moving, leading to the artifact that can be seen on the face in the sample... or actually in the whole image, from her hair down to her belt.

If so, the best solution should be to switch off IS when silent shutter is used and exposure times are short enough.

Personal side note: maybe I have been away from this forum for too long and simply no longer used to it, but I really don't like the subtle (or actually sometimes not very subtle) aggressive and dismissive tone in some of the posts here if someone asks for help or explanations.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(03-01-2020, 12:10 PM)mst Wrote: I don't think this is a rolling shutter issue. At first sight, this looks like motion blur or double flash on a long exposure, but flash was not used accoring to EXIF and at 1/80 s there shouldn't be that much motion blur...

Looking more closely, it seems the double image is limited to a small band in the image. I assume this is either a processing error by the camera's JPG engine or maybe a faulty SD card that left the image slightly corrupted.
Do you happen to have a RAW image, too?

Hmm, after a google search, there might actually be an eletronic shutter related issue. 
Do you see any vertical banding issues? I do not... Shutter related banding issues are vertical in vertical images, but all I see is an almost horizontal but not really horizontal unclear lines thing going on.
(03-01-2020, 01:59 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Do you see any vertical banding issues? I do not...

Me neither, and I didn't claim so. I do see an issue, though, very clearly actually, and I do believe it is shutter related.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Thing is, "rolling shutters" read line by line, and when there is movement you see a distorted subject, not a double subject. How can her head have moved so fast to overtake the rolling shutter and stop again before the shutter caught up to create double edges?

I suspect Ghas was not the only person taking photos, and what we see is the head moving with a flash from someone else making for the double images.