Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report - Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L IS
Because it is not as crystal clear as you suggest it is. :-)

Nano USM is a USM variant - using a ceramic piezoelectric element just like Ring USM - that doesn't drive a rotary action but a linear one based on a guide bar system similar to STM.

Thus the wording is hardly wrong but just not overly precise. ;-)
That being said - I don't care too much really. It's the result that counts and the result is superb.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(03-04-2020, 11:24 AM)Klaus Wrote: Because it is not as crystal clear as you suggest it is. :-)

Nano USM is a USM variant - using a ceramic piezoelectric element just like Ring USM - that doesn't drive a rotary action but a linear one based on a guide bar system similar to STM.

Thus the wording is hardly wrong but just not overly precise. ;-)
That being said - I don't care too much really.  It's the result that counts and the result is superb.

Nano USM is not a ring type USM, which is what you copied into the review.
STM is the motor that is a stepper motor, which rotates. It has nothing at all in common with Nano USM. The guide bars just guide the movement and say nothing about the motor implementation (I pointed to two other systems that use those guide bars and which are nothing like nano USM either).

Indeed, the new Nano USM which apparently also can move bigger elements now in this lens. I wonder how much further they can develop this technology, will we start to see it in even bigger lenses?
Canon watch praising review and reviewer(s)

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-rf-24-7...al-limits/