Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
85mm lenses recommendations choice
Hi everyone,
I'm new on the opticallimits forum ;-)
I'm taking the opportunity to post this topic related to the 85mm lenses choice.
I'm currently searching for a 85mm lens, but to be honest, I don't know which one to choose.

I've read the different reviews, but it's still blurry for me ! Undecided
At the beginning, I was thinking about 
Canon EF 85mm L 1.4 : second hand (from a price point of view)
Tamron SP85mm 1.8 (new)
Samyang AF85mm EF 1.4 (new)

My camera body used is EOS RP.

I'm asking you some feedbacks of your daily used with your 85mm lenses.

Have a nice day and take care.
To be honest - I wouldn't recommend any adapter solution ...
At the end of the day, it'll always be a bit of an alien experience.

Samyang already released the 14mm f/2.8 RF. Thus they figured out the protocol already. I reckon they'll make the 85mm f/1.4 RF available very soon.
That doesn't mean that I'm thrilled by Samyang but there's "a little" price difference here, of course.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Thanks for the feedback Klaus,

I'm currently using the Tamron G2 24-70 2.8 with the adapter, it works perfectly
The eye and face detection are working well, the same with my EF 70-200 IS L F4 and EF50mm 1.8

The more you don't have to use the adapter ring, the better it is, and I can figure out that RF lenses will use the full potential of the EOSRP.

The roadmap proposed by the third parties are really focused on Sony, Undecided nothing really clear for Canon
The Canon EF 85mm f1.4 L IS USM is the best of that bunch, the Tamron 85mm f1.8 VC USD is more affordable. No idea how the Tamron is concerning AF speed on EOS RP, you should try that out first.
(03-26-2020, 12:59 PM)Dimebag Darrell Wrote: Thanks for the feedback Klaus,

I'm currently using the Tamron G2 24-70 2.8 with the adapter, it works perfectly
The eye and face detection are working well, the same with my EF 70-200 IS L F4 and EF50mm 1.8

The more you don't have to use the adapter ring, the better it is, and I can figure out that RF lenses will use the full potential of the EOSRP.

The roadmap proposed by the third parties are really focused on Sony, Undecided nothing really clear for Canon

Well, if you just use DSLR lenses ... what's the point of using the RP ...?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I had the opportunity to move from a 80D to an EOS RP (for nothing)
and in the meantime move from APS-C to FF

I'm pretty satisfied my old lenses,
Migrate all of these lenses to the RF format, not the sure that my bank account will support it lol
Welcome Darell
I own eos RP too and have absolutely no issues with adapter
if you want a quick answer, it's easy and obvious: Canon EF 85mm f1.8 is just great, RF 85mm f1.8 should be on its way but will cost at least twice as much however if it features IS that would be another story
IMHO ou must be aware for a shortcoming that might be important for some , and it's similar with all 85mm lenses it's their minimum focusing distance: it's almost one meter (85cm for most) ok you are not going to shoot macro with it, but get prepared it won't be like your 50f1.8 on 80D, at 85mm on full frame at 85cm distance head and shoulders fill the frame, not just the head fills the frame, dunno how close you like to come to your subject but if you are considering close up portraits you will need an extension tube.

Personally although I own 85mmf1.8 and 100mm macro, I barely use the 85 and prefer 100mm macro, so if I were in your shoes I would go for a 100mm macro or better 100mm macro IS, if you are one of those who are always after the thinnest depth of field, EF 85mmf1.2 prices have dropped a lot on the used market lately....
(03-26-2020, 07:22 PM)toni-a Wrote: Welcome Darell
I own eos RP too and have absolutelyH no issues with adapter
if you want a quick answer, it's easy and obvious: Canon EF 85mm f1.8 is just great, RF 85mm f1.8 should be on its way but will cost at least twice as much however if it features IS that would be another story
IMHO ou must be aware for a shortcoming that might be important for some , and it's similar  with all 85mm lenses it's their minimum focusing distance: it's almost one meter (85cm for most) ok you are not going to shoot macro with it, but get prepared it won't be like your 50f1.8 on 80D, at 85mm on full frame at 85cm distance  head and shoulders fill the frame, not just  the head fills the frame, dunno how close you like to come to your subject but if you are considering close up portraits you will need an extension tube.

Personally although I own 85mmf1.8 and  100mm macro, I barely use the 85 and prefer 100mm macro, so if I were in your shoes I would go for a 100mm macro or better 100mm macro IS, if you are one of those who are always after the thinnest depth of field, EF 85mmf1.2 prices have dropped a lot on the used market lately....

Hi Toni-a
Thanks a lot for your precious feedback

Regarding the 100mmL, I've got it in my bag but... it's not mine, a friend just lend me the lense, for portrait, it works fine as well, but not so easy inside, and less lighter.

Cheers
That should be "if you were in my shoes" as you are the one preferring 100mm over 85mm, toni...
(03-26-2020, 08:26 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: That should be "if you were in my shoes" as you are the one preferring 100mm over 85mm, toni...

Exactly, I have very specific needs and probably if I were not making close up portraits for my children I would have had totally different needs
Anyway Darrell has the 100mm macro and he can judge by himself.. from the size and weight size, both lenses aren't that different, 85mmf1.8 is shorter and lighter than 100 macro but it is not a lightweight lens like 50mmf1.8, 85mm f1.4 and f1.2 are even bigger and heavier