Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax lens roadmap 2020
Against all odd ... still alive and kicking.

Attached Files
.pdf   K_Mount_Lens.pdf (Size: 1.5 MB / Downloads: 14)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
21mm f/??? DFA limited, 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM (for APS-C) and that 85mm f/1.4 are apparently on the horizon. I just wish they moved a bit faster towards that damn horizon, that's for sure!

https://m.dpreview.com/news/2781433966/r...-50mm-f2-8
Weird. The selling point of the 21mm f3.2 Limited is that it is a pancake lens. Rather slow and APS-C only, Canon has an f2 22mm and 24mm f2.8 for APS-C. This new 21mm won't be (much) faster (see the f4 in the (nonsensical) DOF scale, but is MUCH larger.

The 85mm f1.4 has been seen for quite some time.
(05-15-2020, 05:41 AM)Rover Wrote: 21mm f/??? DFA limited, 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM (for APS-C) and that 85mm f/1.4 are apparently on the horizon. I just wish they moved a bit faster towards that damn horizon, that's for sure!

https://m.dpreview.com/news/2781433966/r...-50mm-f2-8

The DA 21mm F3.2 limited pancake lens, I had one ....... a small sweet lens that is good when stopped down a little ...... one of the things I noticed was it's lack of sparkle (very slight sort of veiling) until stopped down ........ I'm hazarding a guess that the HD coating will greatly help there.

The 16-50mm F2.8 will be a very welcome replacement for the older version, note the motor change from the capricious SDM which plagued the model, the PLM motor should be very fast focusing ..... 

..... but man, that time scale .....
Dave's clichés
they have a very good APS-C DSLR lenses line, the question is how many are still interested ??
Pentax seems to know their customers very well and they set realistic targets.
At least I know the lens I want the most can be expected next year.

Yes, that's the D FA 21mm f/??ED Limited DC WR.
Just because the DA 21mm was a pancake, doesn't mean this should be as well. A quality ultra wide prime is sorely needed and this lens would play that role. Why should they compromise the optics by targeting a small size above all?
It is also DC - no more noisy AF - and WR. What's not to like?

We can't deduce the maximum aperture from the DoF scale - except that it's f/4 or larger.
We can deduce that Ricoh are morons for calling fixed focal length lenses "single focus". Not grasping the difference between focal length and "focus" is a bit weird for a camera company. I do have a few single focus lenses, lenses that have a fixed focus plane.

You are correct in that we can't deduce the max. aperture from that, I was mistaken in that assumption.
(05-15-2020, 09:36 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: We can deduce that Ricoh are morons for calling fixed focal length lenses "single focus". Not grasping the difference between focal length and "focus" is a bit weird for a camera company. I do have a few single focus lenses, lenses that have a fixed focus plane.
You could, but then you would be the moron - as "Ricoh" is an optical lens maker (among many other things) and you're sitting in your armchair, posting on the Internet. Guess who knows better about optical design.
I'm glad you didn't.

By the way, they're calling the same as e.g. Nikon (and, I assume, the others): 単焦
The only issue is the literal translation.
(05-15-2020, 09:47 AM)Kunzite Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 09:36 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: We can deduce that Ricoh are morons for calling fixed focal length lenses "single focus". Not grasping the difference between focal length and "focus" is a bit weird for a camera company. I do have a few single focus lenses, lenses that have a fixed focus plane.
You could, but then you would be the moron - as "Ricoh" is an optical lens maker (among many other things) and you're sitting in your armchair, posting on the Internet. Guess who knows better about optical design.
I'm glad you didn't.

By the way, they're calling the same as e.g. Nikon (and, I assume, the others): 単焦
The only issue is the literal translation.

You are funny Big Grin

"Ricoh" is not 1 person, but a company with many people working there ( I assume). Most of those people may also own armchairs, and many also post on internet, no doubt. A Chinese upstart like Laowa can be forgiven for wrong translations into English, but a decades old Japanese "optical lens maker" as you put it, should know better.
That google translates 単焦 as "single focus" and not "single focal", where it does translate "焦" as "focal" and not "focus", shows you where a moron at Ricoh (or a department full of morons at Ricoh) goofed up. 

Nikon calls them "prime lenses", not "single focus".
Canon calls them "prime" and "fixed focal length" lenses, not "single focus".
Sony calls them "prime" lenses, not "single focus".
Minolta calls them "fixed focal length" and "prime" lenses, not "single focus".
(05-15-2020, 11:38 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: You are funny
You are a sad little Pentax basher, who couldn't resist the opportunity to insult an entire company.
And can't properly read a post.